icon

Will this work?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssjcloud 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hello again and thank you for clicking on my topic.
I have gotten a lot of information from a friend at college about subs, amps, & what not. I have a 1999 Nissan Altima & I have decided to go with this set up.
_____Sub_____
KICKER SOLO BARIC 15" S15L7
_____Amp_____
HIFONICS TX1505D TITAN CLASS D
____Wires____
4 GAUGE AMPLIFIER INSTALL KIT
__Enclosure__
ENCLOSURE SUB BOX
I will be running this at 2 Ohms with mono wiring
Now the reason I'm posting this is to just get some feedback on if this will be good.
Is it possible?
How long do you think it will last?
Am I wasting my money?
Are these good name brands?
Should I buy a ported box instead?
If you can think of a question I didn't mention I want the answer to it.
I would like anyones experienced knowledge. Thank You
-ssjcloud
roadshoptuner 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
From my experience, the kicker subs tend to be very inefeicient, (requiring lots of power to reproduce the same amount of bass as say an infinity sub of the same caliber). I have only seen one kicker sub in a sealed box and that was a CompVR, to be honest with you it didnt sound that good either. Kikers generally tend to like ported boxes and really bang out the lower frequencies in these boxes. As far as your amp goes, HiFonics is a really good company,but personally i would look into running two of the 12" models....S12L5....and wire them down to two ohms. If you do this, you can run the kicker kx1200.1 (1200w @ 1ohm) a perfect match for those two subs! Your wire is right on track, if you plan on adding amps down the road for fronts/ rears, i would recomend running maybey 2agu, but you should be more then fine with 4agu as that is what i have right now! You've definatley got the stage set for a very nice setup, keep in touch...check out my setup!.... https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=64338&PN=1 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

ssjcloud wrote:

Is it possible?

How long do you think it will last?
Am I wasting my money?
Are these good name brands?
Should I buy a ported box instead?
-ssjcloud

Possible?  Sure.  It'll last as long as you want it to.  Assuming you set it up properly, it'll be fine.  Are you wasting your money?  Well only you can answer that.  Do you like the way this system sounds?  Oh wait, your links are EBay links.  So maybe you ARE wasting your money.  I do not recommend buying from EBay unless you really, really know what you're buying and trust the seller.  Good name brands? They're decent, mid-level brands.  Ported box instead?  It depends what you're after.  You really need to listen to that sub in that enclosure to know.

I recommend you take your money and go to a local shop.  Tell them what you're after and how much you can spend and see what can be done.  Only buy gear that you like and know how it sounds, and if you buy from a real store you can get instant warranty repair or replacement if something goes wrong.

Support the12volt.com
ssjcloud 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I would love to buy my items from a local dealer DYohn but there is only one problem...price. I am going to spend about $500 on this hole set up right now but If I were to go to the store it would nearly triple the price(and that's not even including the warranty fees). I do not have the budget but am I really just going to waste money on ebay?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you are buying someone else's broken parts most of the time with little to no recourse.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
konrad100 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
I bought all my equipment on ebay, although i would higly recommend buying new stuff, don't buy used. I got one amp that was used slightly and got lucky, but i know thats not always the case so be careful, save the money and buy new and it will be cheaper, if its new it can't be broken, and most of the time you get warranty with the item anyways. Just be smart. No your not wasting your money..you will at the local shop..
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

konrad100 wrote:
if its new it can't be broken

Wh-What??

methinfinity 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
hey cloud, that S15L7 bangs out man. have you heard the kicker solobaric and cvr/comp loaded boxes? That shhh is bang for ya buck fo real. i wouldnt buy a run-of-the-mill pre fab box son personally. If you cant afford the variety of kicker boxes out there, make one. Just as long as it's built to spec and you got the amp to run it it'll bang out.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
i say Ebay is a bad idea. and if a local show wont work for you. www.ikesound.com will be your best bet.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
ssjcloud 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks a lot for the link Blowntweeters. I looked up my stuff and of course it was more. But not too much more and they come with one-year warranties. Have you bought from this site before I would like to know if it's trustworthy because it sounds great.
Items on Ikesound.com:
____Sub____
Kicker 04S15L7-4
____Amp____
Hifonics TX1505D
Ok so my new question is now on Ikesound.com
Is this a more trusty website than ebay?
Thank you.
-ssjcloud
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic