icon

FG Enclosure port?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97blackrodeo 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I am building a box with 4 15's in the trunk. I am planning on building one large port going from the box through the back seat into the cabin area of the car. Does anyone have any tips as far as configuring the port. Would I be better off making two ports?
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
if i was to do that i would actully section off all the subs so they had there own chamber and then make a port inlet in each of the chambers out of mdf and then run two of them into a single port that would come through your back seat on one side and then do the same for the other two so you would have two ports. 15s will push alot of air so haveing two ports will eliminate the need for one huge port. although i dont no about sctioning the subs in there own chamber. that would help with the subs canceling each other out but that depends on how you have them set up. i dont no about that though if enybody could clear that up that would help me 97black at the same time. im not to clear on that.   FG Enclosure port? -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
the8thorder 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

usually you would want your port size to be 1/3 to 1/2 the diameter of the subs your using. with four 15's in there youd need a 15 to 20 inch port. your best bet is to do like youngone said but you dont have to seperate the chambers, and not doing so might add a little to your volume which is usually a good thing (it'll make your ports shorter).  i did a set up like that, but with two 12's. i took out the 6x9s and relocated them in a pod and used the back dash to run the ports through. if you use a near opaque speaker grill they just look like a speaker was there.  they sound good but you have to secure them very well or they will rattle.

hope that helps. and try to get some pics up when u decide what to do

Michael Jordan
97blackrodeo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Do you think two eight inch ports cut to the the proper length would be sufficient or should i do one big port in the center of the backseat?
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
look on the left hand side of the screen under car audio and click on port length calculator for the answer.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
skeptikal 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

Are you going to do circular ports, or do you want a slot port firing into the cabin?

Also desired tuning & overall enclosure airspace would be really helpful. Then you could find exactly how big your port needs to be.

NuSonic Sounds
Brandon McGinnis
Your Source for Ology Audio
97blackrodeo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to be at 40 hertz. The box is approximately 12 cubic feet. Ill post specs when the box is complete. I would like to do one round port coming through the backseat.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
FG Enclosure port? -- posted image. holy %^& that box is going to take up the hole trunk. i want one or actuly four. what type of subs are you going to run in there. and in your case you sould run two ports brings down the cancaling facter.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
97blackrodeo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to do two ports, but i dont want to add any baffles. Can I put in two ports without creating chambers?
jw007 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

With the amount of air that 4 15s will be moving, I doubt you would need to vent the box into the back seat. You're gonna feel the air no matter what.

Jason

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic