Hood Pin Alternatives For Remote Start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
muaiad97 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

hi everyone

i have question about hood pin . hood pin is very nessecery  to installed  when car has remot starter  last week i was changing oil for my friend car  and the hood was opend and the remot was in his packet  and it wasnt in his hand the car started  without pushing any buttom  so we dont know what happend  !!!!! the car started with hood up ? and was no oil in the engine  after that we found that the hood pin was stuck becaus was rusted  this not first car like that  too many car i have seen the hood pin allways  not working  so my question is ther any thing else to use instead hood pin  like sensor  or anything to make it safer for everyone 

thanx   

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
The hood pin will work till the salt truck come around the second time. After that it's pretty much rusted. If you want a 99.9% fail safe hood pin just tap a toggle switch on to it. And the 0.1% fail rate is when you don't remember to switch it on.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Hood Pin Alternatives For Remote Start? -- posted image.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
every one of my hood pins gets a squirt from the anit-corrosion spray bottle.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
I don't bother with hood pins any more...they rust or break so dang quick that the car won't start with the hood closed, or will start with it open. A toggle switch is the way to go, as long as the customer knows where it's at.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

thepencil wrote:
The hood pin will work till the salt truck come around the second time. After that it's pretty much rusted. If you want a 99.9% fail safe hood pin just tap a toggle switch on to it. And the 0.1% fail rate is when you don't remember to switch it on.

chriswallace187 wrote:
I don't bother with hood pins any more...they rust or break so dang quick that the car won't start with the hood closed, or will start with it open. A toggle switch is the way to go, as long as the customer knows where it's at.

I can't figure it out........

Rather than spend a $ 1.00 more for the chance at having a Safer, Better, Secure, & Recommended Way of Installation,  I see there are those that want to do there own way of install in the name of there own Safety.
What happened to those Hood PIN Switches that are supposed to prevent Remote Start for Safety?
What happened to those ( although many don't notice ) Stickers under the Hood Notifying of Remote Start?
I would NOT like the Idea of a Vehicle leaving the shop withOUT a Hood PIN SWitch of some sort.  There are to many types out there that Last as Long as the Vehicle.
The Customer, 2nd Owner, MECHANIC, or who ever raises that Hood deserves to be protected by the INSTALLER of the Remotes Start.
Simply telling a Customer to flick a switch is NOT my idea of Safety................

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
I have never been advise that ignorance is an excuse. I have also never been very successful into teaching the value of common sense.
mo12v wrote:

I can't figure it out........

Rather than spend a $ 1.00 more for the chance at having a Safer, Better, Secure, & Recommended Way of Installation, I see there are those that want to do there own way of install in the name of there own Safety.
What happened to those Hood PIN Switches that are supposed to prevent Remote Start for Safety?
What happened to those ( although many don't notice ) Stickers under the Hood Notifying of Remote Start?
I would NOT like the Idea of a Vehicle leaving the shop withOUT a Hood PIN SWitch of some sort. There are to many types out there that Last as Long as the Vehicle.
The Customer, 2nd Owner, MECHANIC, or who ever raises that Hood deserves to be protected by the INSTALLER of the Remotes Start.
Simply telling a Customer to flick a switch is NOT my idea of Safety................

On the user guide of most remote starter manual the owner is advise that they should put the remote starter in VALET MODE if they are loaning the vehicle to someone who is not familiar with the device or when the vehicle is put into a garage for servicing.
I would probably invest much of my time and effort if the marginal benefit clearly outweighs the time and effort in doing so. Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more mo12v that you cannot place a value on safety. However, after countless of remote starter over the years, I have yet heard on the news that a faulty hood pin from a remote starter install has cause serious bodily injuries.   I think if there were any serious safely issue concern; I think government inspection would be impose on every install. Personally, I think spending the extra 5 minutes and explaining to your customer what the hood pin does and safety sticker put in place is all that is need to reinforce the safety feature that you have put in place. I am not a licence electrician or a lot of people who change their own light bulb on a regular basis when they are brunt out. However, I do understand the danger of it and will shut the light switch off first before attempting to replace the light bulb. I also do understand not to stick my finger into the socket to see if there is any electricity left in it because I know if I do it can kill me. Also, I do know that there are no safety feature put in place for my idiotic, but yet simple and odd way of testing. That being said, I think most will agree with me that the burden of safety should not be carry only on the the installer, but the end user as well.                 
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Hood Pin Alternatives For Remote Start? -- posted image.
knucklehead 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Where is a good place to get either of these switches?
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

bobk wrote:
Mercury or magnetic switches are my choice.

Sorry about the above post. Apparently Firefox doesn't do the quotes very well. I meant these switches.

knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Bob.
bassop823 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Personally if the car has a light underneath the hood just wire a relay off of it so you can get ground and use it for the hood pin switch. I know this may take a little work, but you do not have to drill more holes on the vehicle.
bassop
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic