icon

Hood Pin Alternatives For Remote Start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knucklehead 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, Bassop I did that. And then I learned a valuable lesson. I knew the switch for the hood light was a tilt switch, I just never bothered to check to see how far up the hood needs to be raised before the light turns on. Turns out on my truck, that's about half way up. Considering this input doubles as an alarm trigger that wasn't good. Going to try the magnetic switch now. And the wiring and relay job was soooo perfect. Got to love Murphy and his stupid laws!
bassop823 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

Never thought about that, but I guess I need to check mine to see how far it has to be raised before the light comes on.

bassop
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

i've done hundreds of starters and never had a problem using a pin switch under the hood...it's safe and they come with them.... sure you may have to spring for a pin switch mounting bracket sometimes, but big deal....

magnetic switches are as big a pain or more to align and mount and mercury switches are a pain in the butt if customer parks on any kind of incline at all... they are only practical if you park flat on the street... too much slope one way and it wont start, too much the other way and it will start with the hood almost all the way up.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
My problem with the pin switches is corrosion. They get corrosion on them and don't show ground when closed. I've tried several different brands and types, and still have the same problem. I don't want to have to mess with a magnetic switch, but I need that thing to work. If you can give me a type of pin switch and a place to buy it, that you use and know is reliable, I'd definately give it a shot.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Replacing the pins often with a spray of WD40 to it is probably your best solution.   The pins don’t cost an arm and a leg to purchase, beside it will give you the added security that you worry about.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Hood Pin Alternatives For Remote Start? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
Also Try Conductive Grease or Contact Silicone...
Should be available @ Radio Snack or Electronics store
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Because I'm a firm believer in trying the simplest fix first, I'll give dielectric grease a shot. Thanx
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic