icon

2005 Mazda Tribute remote start problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Moboost2jz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

Clifford RS1.1 remote start unit.  DEI 556U transponder module.  Wired with inverting relay via Directeds 1079 direcfax.

The car will start up fine, then die approximately 6 seconds later.  Then it will do it over and over again until the alarm cycles out of retrys (3).  If you remote start the car within a short period (within an hour of leaving it) it will generally remote start and function like it should.  If you leave it longer (typically overnight) it will perform the above actions.

It has been rewired without the 1079 and just the (+) keysense wire from the 556U feeding the car with no luck

Tried to change the tach sense to voltage sense with no luck.

If you take off the transponder antennae or remove the key from the transponder it will not crank at all, so I don't believe that is the problem.  It's almost like it's a tach signal issue since it starts fine then shuts down, but I am out of ideas!!!!

Help please!

tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Where did you tag your tach source? I usually go to an injector on those with no problems, but I don't do too much with DEI products, so I don't know how they react to injectors as a tach source. They sould be fine though.
Does the Clifford you are installing have a high/low tach threshold adjustment?
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
I tried to answer another post you had, but I think it got lost.
Look at the small red security light on the dash; I think it's shaped like a little car key if I remember right?
Anyway, on those Ford/Mazdas, you will see that if you start the car with the key, the light comes on solid for a moment, then goes out and stays out.
If you have a transponder key issue, the red light will instead be flashing rapidly.
By looking at the light, you can rule in or rule out the transponder bypass as a source of the problem.
For tach, I usually use pink/white or WHITE/ pink, at the ECM plug under the hood-----it's centered on the firewall, high up.
You were smart to try voltage sensing; even if you don't want to leave it that way, it's a great troubleshooting tool.
Moboost2jz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I am using a negative coil wire on one of the coil on plug ignitors.  I will try to switch it to the ECU Plug on the firewall.  I believe this unit has a low and high tach, but am not sure, its one of the first ones that I've installed.
fredg 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a very simple test you can do anytime you are tryine to figure out if it's a transponder issue or a tach issue...

Start the vehicle with the key, then do a take-over with the remote starter and remove the key from the ignition.  If the car stays running, your tach signal is not likely the problem.

As the previous posts says, if you remote start the vehicle and the key symbol in the dash starts flashing, you have a bypass problem.  As a rule of thumb, you should always test your remote starter installation with the vehicle's own key in the ignition before doing your bypass.  This eliminates any questions about wiring problems after you do the bypass. 

fredg
Mr_Fusion 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem with an 05 Escape. It WAS NOT a transponder issue either. I tried to use an injector, coil, crank and cam sensors with NO luck. I then tried voltage sensing, again with NO luck. Finally I tried a different brand system and it worked perfectly.
Just recently I did an 04 F150 and using a coil it would do this after about 1-2 successful starts. So I switched it to voltage sensing and it too worked fine.
I don't know what the deal is...I hope that this doesn't continue in the future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic