icon

add chirp for on and off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
artm 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased an Omega REC-43T remote to control a coolant heater. I was told outputs are -500mA but I'm getting +230mA - constant. Anyway, this is better for me.
I'd like to add a chirp circuit to tell me when the output is valid when switching on (+230mA) and off (0mA).
The constant-to-momentary circuit here:
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#ctm
will do the job when switching on but how do I handle the off part? I assume I need a second relay but can it be done with only one?
-Art
ihookitup4u 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
Ok the easliest way is real cheesy or u need to use relays yes more than one. Take the relay that you are going to use in the 1st place and strap it to the shock sensor so when it clicks it will trigger you soft chirp. It has been done. But it will only chirp when the alarm is armed , lol .
Post again if you need a relay config. It is going to take a few though.
artm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
There is no shock sensor. I'm simply using the remote to trigger a block heater. So, like a remote starter I need to hear the chirp to know it's been activated.
No big deal using two relays but I have a two channel remote so four relays just to chirp? Sounds much but at least it's cheap and simple to wire.
The other way to do it is with a flip-flop circuit in which case only one relay will be needed but that involves extra circuitry, circuit board, etc.. I'd rather do the relays to be honest.
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
not sure if you thought of it, but if you have a chrip for on and off, how will you know the difference if it is a on or off chirp? im not sure how long you plan on having the heater on, but i might suggust just activating your parking lights when its on, you can even flash the parking lights.
artm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
The heater(s) can be on for 10-20 minutes. Since I'd be using the remote from inside the house, I need to hear the chirp rather than see the lights.
If I hear a chirp when turning it on that's good enough. Normally I would turn it off when entering the vehicle but I would like the option to do it from the house - hence the double chirp but that's with circuitry.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Could use a DEI 452T to trigger a relay to triger a small siren.
Feed a negative input to the orange wire, and it wil outpur one pulse on the green wire. Take the ground away from the orange wire, and it will send out another pulse on the blue wire (or, use the double pulse output to get 2 chirps on shut down). Super simple, one box solution that you can do for probably $30, all parts necessary. We actually use one to give a door chirp for the front door of the shop....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
ihookitup4u 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

What I dont understand is if you knew the answer why did you ask the question???

Just trying to help, but it sounds like you dont need it to me.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

I could make a circuit to do exactly what you need done really easily.  I've been doing quite a few smaller custom projects lately in my spare time - http://kptechnologies.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=31

It would be set up to monitor the 12vdc used to power the heater.  Once it detects power it would output a short 100ma (-) output.  Once the power is gone it will output 2 short (-) outputs.

You can hook the output up to your horn, parking lights, external siren, etc...

Let me know if you are interested, it would work much better then a relay system, and be low cost.

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic