icon

Installing 2 Legacy Woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
86_t-bird_302v8 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I have absolutely no expierience wiring woofers.  I was wondering if you guys could hep me out.  Thanks in advance!

2 Legacy 12" 500 watt subwoofers with dual voice coils and a 4 ohm impedence.

I want to do a direct route to my cd player because I don't have an amp right now.  How would I do this?  I thought wiring subs was just like speakers but I found out the hard way it isn't. Oh, and I do have a dual sub 12" sub box.

Blinden 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
You are going to need an amp, I'll tell you that much right now.
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X579 HU
More on the way...
86_t-bird_302v8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
So there is no possible way to hook my subs up without an amp???
Blinden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Firstly, that HU is going to run at 4 ohms per channel, with those speakers that wouldn't work out to well from a resistance standpoint.
From a wattage standpoint, I dont' know what kind of HU you have, but I highly doubt it's going to be enough to move those speakers worth anything.
More on the way...
86_t-bird_302v8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate the info.  I thought I could have just 2 regular speakers and 2 woofers, but oh well.  What kind of amp do you suggest I get and what wattage without killing my alternator or battery? Thanks!

86_t-bird_302v8 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to need a total of 4 wires to hook up my subs to my amp right? Meaning each wire having a positive and a negative.  Does 12 gauge wire sound about right?  Sorry if I sound stupid, but I really don't know much about woofer wiring.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
What you do is put the positive wire from the sub in the left power socket of your house, and the negative wire from your sub to the right side of your house power socket, leave it plugged in till its fully charged like a capacitor, it will stop moveing when its fully charged. Then you can go ahead and hook it up to your cd player, it will bump hard.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Blinden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
You should probably pay somebody to do this for you, or spend a lot of time reading because it seems as though you are pretty far away right now from being able to do this on your own.
If you really enjoy it, you will learn a lot just by reading and looking around.
(also, don't plug your speaker into your AC socket)
More on the way...
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
your going to want an amp thats about 400 to 500 watts rms. i would suggest you go with a mono block amp.do a lot of reading .before you try to install an amp and subs. Good Luck
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

A few years ago I owned 2 Legacy LWFX127 and when I couldn't afford an amp, I ran them off my headunit. (Back when I didn't know 1 thing about car audio) and they sounded like shhh (But what do you expect?). I don't know what was more ignorant, buying Legacy or hooking them to my headunit. Installing 2 Legacy Woofers -- posted image.

I'm not trying to diss you, but Legacy isn't good subs to work with. I sold mine both for $15 after I learned more about car audio. If you're looking for some good sound, hell if you're looking for some decent sound, Legacy isn't the way to go. I'd save up money, sell those Legacy's, and use that money for better subs.

But if you really want to keep those, then get a decent amp. You can wire those subs in a 4ohm or 1ohm load, so I'd look for an amp that can put out "at least" 400watts rms @ 4ohms. I wouldn't give them too much power because, well, they're Legacy.

I know from experience. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic