icon

RF T112D4 distorting!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reisskahn 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there am from the United Kingdom and basically ive bought a used RF T112D4 sub of ebay from the States which was described as used and in great working order tested at Soundtrack etc. Well ive just received the sub few days back and ive got a JBL BP1200.1 amp to use (yeh i know its way overpowered but i figured that ill have to control/adjust the gain carefully + these subs should be able to handle a bit more then their rms)
Anyway i asked guy the who i brought it from that did they run it in and thay and he goes for a few hours but recommended that i mite aswell play it at low volumes for about a week. I also phoned RF Tech Support in the States to confirm this and they said shouldnt really need to break it in just play it low for a few hours then do what you have to do power it etc.
So i had a ported box which was about 1.75cu.ft without the sub and had a port 4"wide and 4"long i knew the box will be a bit small etc but i just wanted to try the sub in it see what it sounds like then i thought ill keep the gains really low let the sub break in for a few days while i sort out a proper box.
So i started by wiring the sub into 2ohms by getting one wire from one +voice coil and plug it in the other side + of the voice coil and vice-versa or the -voice coils. Then from one side of the subs voice coils -&+ i had a wire put into there and the other side going to my connectors in the box and mounted the sub into the box. Then i put the box into me car and from the outside of the box i connected a wire to +&- and then to the amp. I switched everything on and the sub sounded fooked/distorting/farting i cant explain it i was gobsmacked. There was just no bass at all!!!! RF T112D4 distorting! -- posted image. RF T112D4 distorting! -- posted image. RF T112D4 distorting! -- posted image.
I then took out the sub from the box to try it just incase the box was too small or somin and still no difference, so i wired up one side of the sub/voice coil and tried it still no good. I even tried it with a way underpowered amp that am using with my speakers and still it was no good.
So i phoned RF Tech Support in the US and they guy couldnt really help me over the phone, i did like turn it up etc so he can hear but you really cant tell over the phone and he reckons maybe the sub is faulty/damaged spider gone etc (so am ****ting me loads now.) The guy goes ill have to ring my RF Distributor in the United Kingdom, so i rang them the next day and same again he couldnt really help me only recommended that i go to a local car audio shop (since they didnt have a RF dealer in my area) and he goes yeh if the sub is gone and it needs reconing (what ever that is) etc its gonna cost me in excess of £100 (****) but he reckoned that the sub shouldnt be blown probably just some minor settings or soming.
So i went to a local car audio shop and they guy didnt know much but did have a multimetre and said well the voice coils are ok (btw we are now testing the sub with the small amp not the jbl) and i tried a basstube from his shop and that sounded all ok. So i went to another shop that sells car audio, parts etc and the guys go change your earthing which i did but still no good. Then he got a sub in a box and we tried that and that sounded ok so he reckoned the sub is gone!!!!! I was about to cry RF T112D4 distorting! -- posted image. RF T112D4 distorting! -- posted image. so i just hooked my speakers back to that amp and they sound ok and taken the sub out and put it in me room now to get some answers from you lot hopefully.
So:
1.) I did wire the sub properly yeh when i put it on the jbl amp @2ohms?
2.) What could the problem be and whats the chances taht the sub is blown?
3.) If the sub is blown could i have blown it or is that i was sold a dodgy one?
4.) Whats reconing etc?
I hope there isnt nothing major wrong with it and there is a solution for this if not then ill be screwing and wouldnt know what to do.
I hope you lot can help me!!!!
Cheers
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  

reisskahn wrote:
1.) I did wire the sub properly yeh when i put it on the jbl amp @2ohms?
2.) What could the problem be and whats the chances taht the sub is blown?
3.) If the sub is blown could i have blown it or is that i was sold a dodgy one?
4.) Whats reconing etc?

1.It sounds like it was wired properly, although wiring a sub improperly will more often lead to issues with the amp, like improper impedance.

2. You said it was metered at a shop. That would be my first suggestion. They said it was ok, so move on. Have you tried the sub in a sealed box? Do you have any filters setup for the amp or on the amp? Perhaps you were hearing tinsel lead slap, but no bass steers me away from that cause.

3. Yes, you could have blown the sub, or it could have been out or very close to it. This one is important, how did you come up with the setting of the gain.

4. reconing is basically a sub repair.

reisskahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

erm rite i dont have another box or a sealed one to try it in but that why i took it out and tried it in free air and still sounded the same. No i havent got no filter setup or on the amo apart from the low-pass crossover which i did mess around but still no good. Bass boost is all the way down.

What do you mean by "Perhaps you were hearing tinsel lead slap" whats that?

About the gain well i just turn the volume up on the stereo then try to adjust the gain but it just makes that awfull sound thats scares me that it'll kill my sub so just disconnected it.

What else can it be????

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
The biggest possibility here is that you bought someone else's used equipment that was passed off as new and was in fact damaged. E-bay is a dumping ground for stuff like this that unfortunately people get ripped off everyday there with little to no recourse. Let's hope that this did not happen to you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
reisskahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

I hope i havent been done over or ill be crying!!!!!!!

reisskahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well my last resort rang RF Tech Support again and the guy reckoned that is the box being way too small and tuned to high and that it'll make silly noises in free air basically bottoming out. Only thing is to try in a sealed enclosure or a proper tuned box if not then i know its the sub 8\  |[

So what does a sub sound like when its bottoming out?

crzycreations 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

did you follow the ported box specs? if not the sub may be unloading.

-Don't buy it, Build it-
reisskahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

Nah i havent followed the ported spec or like a proper enclosure. Will try to sort out a proper sealed enclosure or ported enclosure just to try see if its all ok then make a proper enclosure for it hopefully. Just hope all works out ok ill keep u posted.

cheers

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic