icon

melted wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smrdr 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
Ok dudes I not sure what happened, I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT that I put a remote starter in and yesterday  the headlight wires started to over heat and melt. Now I have had them in for about a week and had had no problem with them working up until yesterday. The remote starter has a headlight wire that splits into two wires so I conected one to the yellow wire at the switch for the headlights and the other to the brown wire at the switch for the parking lights. The car does have day time running lights so would that be a problem?
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of alarm do you have.  If you connected a wire from the alarm straight to the headlight wire you probably did some damage to the alarm.  You can (usually) hook the parking light wire straight to the car wiring, but if you are trying to get the head lights to come on you need to use a relay.  I would suggest to disconnect the wire that you ran to the head light wire and see if your problem goes away.  give it a try and let me know.  Good luck.  Brian
smrdr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
It is a stingpro DX-710. Why would the voltage form the switch be diffrent between the parking lights and the head lights, they both run off the same constant 12v wire that go's to the switch.
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
You havent specified if the wires melted are of the car or the alarm. If the alarms wires are melted then it is amperage my friend, not voltage. Some alarms have polarity selection on their parking lights via a wire. If yours has this, what is the fuse rating on the holder. Does your parking light output have fuses on it? Dual parking light wires out of an alarm are not inteded for HL, but for Euros that have isolated PL. If your module truly did have dual HL wires then you should have hooded them up as so. One to each HL and the PL should have their own wire.melted wiring -- posted image.
Someone pass me that bottle.
smrdr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  
It was the wire on the car alarm that melted. Ok the wiring guide has  one wire going into a 15A fuse then after the fuse the wire split into two wires and then the two wires go into drawing of a rectangle box and inside the box is a triangle with a line infront of them with the letters and numbers (1N5401) then the wires go to the lamps. Now that I look at this a little more is that a restore they are drawing after the fuse?
Phatmex 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
That would be a diode.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic