icon

Glass Breakage Sensors and Range Check

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deepinit 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

I wanted to put a glass breakage sensor in alarm/remote start but I was wondering,  when the car starts will it set off the glass sensor?

One more question for anyone that knows this one...

Exactly how does the "Out of Range Check" work on an Autopage RS-855 in alarm feature "B" programming?  Will it drain my batteries?

infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
for the glass sensor, most use a microphone to detect the sound of the glass breaking. you can disable the sensor if wired right when the car is started.
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  
But there should be no need to disable the glass sensor.I know the dei sensor only goes of it the microphone hears a certain frequency..(either breaking glass,or the attempt of trying to break the glass with lets say a piece of ceramic like from a spark plug or something.}
"ole blake"
deepinit 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

mrcllusb wrote:
But there should be no need to disable the glass sensor.I know the dei sensor only goes of it the microphone hears a certain frequency..(either breaking glass,or the attempt of trying to break the glass with lets say a piece of ceramic like from a spark plug or something.}

Yup, I am putting in a DEI Glass Sensor, so no additional relays or anything special, great to know. 

Now if someone knew the answer to the other question....

mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
As far as ur other question,sounds to me like it's just to see if the signal between the remote and the brain can still signal each other..
"ole blake"
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
What does the manual say??
"ole blake"
deepinit 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

The install manual only informs you that "ON" is two chrips, "DEFAULT" is one chirp.  The owners manual states that the indicator on the remote will indicated if in range (showing) or out of range (not showing).  However if i go fifty miles down the road away from my car the remote still states in range (GOOD GOD THAT"S GREAT RANGE) until I hit a button then the indicator disappears ( Cr@p).

What I wanted to know was how does this range check work?  Does it send out a constant signal to the remote and when the remote is out of range it will indicate as such, and when back in range will it immediately indicate that?  Or does it send out a signal every hr. to determine if its in range (not to useful if the case).

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know if it's the same in your case, but in a standalone pager unit I have, the range check is implemented by a periodic range check transmission occurring every 15 seconds for 5 minutes after it's armed. This gives you time to walk to your test location, and the display shows you if it's picking up the transmissions during the 5 minute test period. After that test period, it just goes into the normal standby mode.
I assume the paging range is much longer than the range that you can control the unit using your remote, though no one ever mentions that- I doubt they would use a two way handshaking kind of scheme, it'd be rather pointless.
The important range is the paging range, not the remote control range. I was interested in finding out the range from the Astra 777 unit, but there doesn't seem to be much experience with it here, being sort of an off brand, I guess.
deepinit 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
I think i'll turn it on and see what happens...
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
You get to be the pioneer in this department- Glass Breakage Sensors and Range Check -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic