icon

Something Went Wrong

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sin913 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I need to know if anybody possibly knows what happened here....
I have a 91 Honda Civic LX with a Panasonic CQ-1200U head unit, 6.5" 4way Pioneer TS-A1680R in the back, and a set of 2way Pioneers in the front (not sure of the model, but they are brown)....We recently put in custom 5 1/4"s in the back doors (Pioneer TS-G1340R), and thats when all hell broke loose.. I now have many problems with my system..The 5 1/4 on the driver side distorts and pops when played (we tested with other 5 1/4s so we know its not blown), the front driver side speaker now barely pushes any sound, and my back speaker on the driver side does the same...The middle speakers are connected to the back speakers, so thats how theyre being powered..Does anyone know what could've gone wrong??? Thanks.
****Note: I did not hook the speakers up, a friend of mine did for me, but I'll answer any questions to the best of my knowledge
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

How are you powering all these speakers? All off the deck?

If you are running 3 pairs of 4 ohm speakers off a deck, you are asking for problems! You will present an impedance load that is too low for the deck. The deck's amp is rated to only put out power at 4 ohms per channel, and is most likely not bridgeable. Disconnect those extra speakers!

What really went wrong, was you let your "friend" work on your car...

sin913 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
I did disconnect them, the other speakers still acted up
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
then you might have perminately screwed the deck up?... try swapping out the speakers that are still acting up with new ones...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
As was asked by dwarren, how did you power the speakers?  Also, why do you think your front speakers are "blown"?
Support the12volt.com
sin913 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
I never said they were blown, i said that since one of the middle speakers were rattling and distorting,someone might think they were blown, but we made sure they weren't by testing another pair of 5 1/4s (which resulted in the same rattling)
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

Perhaps you are simply turning them up too high? You can't expect much from head unit power.

Do you have and cross overs in use? Are there any filters built in the deck, like a high pass or low pass filter?

And you still haven't answered the question of how you are powering all these speakers? The head unit or external amplification??

sin913 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
They're being powered by the unit right now,and no I have not been turning them up too loud. My unit goes up to 45, I haven't turned them up passed 15 in a while
dwarren 
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

Do you have and cross overs in use? Are there any filters built in the deck, like a high pass or low pass filter?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

As was already suggested, you cannot use more than one 4-ohm speaker on each powered output of a head unit.  You may have permanently damaged the head unit.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic