icon

what can i expect from a 2nd sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

I currently have a single Infinity Perfect 12 (single 4 ohm voice coil) in a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure. I am running it with an MTX amp that puts out 210 watts at 4 ohms and 420 watts into 2 ohms, so I am only using half the amps possible output with the sub. I am planning on purchasing a 2nd Perfect 12 and putting both subs into a dual sealed chamber box so that each sub will get 210 watts.

My question is, what can I expect as far as difference in sound from adding the 2nd sub? I am doubling my current setup in both the driver and the wattage...should I expect twice the bass output? Just looking for opinions on the subject.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  

I would say go for it.  Right now you have a system that is neither SQ or SPL, but it looks like you are tending toward the SQ way of doing things.  However, the power applied (150 watts at 12.5 volts) to that sub in a 1 ft box is meager.  Better results would be had if the box were 1.5 ft or a little more.  And, the amp should perform similarly into either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load.

And so I say do it because you now will have a chance to build a new box.  WinISD has this sub in its database and shows a nice setup with two subs in a common sealed chamber of total 3 cu ft net.  You will still be tending toward the SQ way of life, and near-future upgrades of your main speakers will further you along that path.

And did you read THIS THREAD?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure if that thread is the place I'd look for a better idea of how a dual-woofer setup would sound.
Abstractly comparing dB output like that I know doesn't give me a better idea of how something will sound.. but to answer your question 2x12's will be *much* louder than one.   I'd say forcefully so. While a single 12 will provide great musical backbone.. a pair can seriously *bass* ... Your bass will .... sayy... 'wake up.'
As for stevdart's box-size advice, I would have to disagree, from experience with this particular woofer. I had a pair of Perfect 12's for sometime before some hooligan helped themself to them late one night. I actually had them in a *very* oversized sealed ensloure.. about 2.8 or so if I recall... I'd have to tell ya the output at volume was awful... flabby and boomy and not at all how that woofer ought sound. Even wiring the woofers up to 8-ohms (to reduce power input to compensate for the box size) still produced very muddy sound. *I* really wouldn't go larger than 1, maybe 1.2 a woofer with that sub.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic