icon

running RCAs by power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

In short, running the RCA wires next to the power wire does NOT cause ANY interference whatsoever.  The power wire is carrying a DC current, which has a frequency of ZERO, and the RCA cables are carrying a frequency from 0~40khz.

These two wires will NOT cross talk as is the misconception.  How could they?  The power wire is putting absolutely NO interference due to the fact that its frequency is zero. 

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

Interesting.  So the electromagnetic field it generates doesn't actually produce any interference?  Can you explain more about the "frequency of zero?"

I've never bought into the idea that power wires had to be run seperate from RCA's b/c I've never solved a noise problem by seperating the two.  Good to hear I wasn't just lucky.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

I recently read a similar article about this as well. And there were other points brought up too. Here is some of it...

There is no where on the chassis/floor of the car that will be isolated from noise.

Electrons flow from negative to postive. There is NO way to isolate anything going down the power wire from anything laying on the chassis/floor. Because anything that is going down the wires is also going down the chassis.

You do NOT get noise (or any audible noise) from running power wires and RCAs together.

You do get noise from bad grounds, poorly designed equipment, or a pinched cable.

Running power wires and low level signal wires together will not have an effect on noise. there is no statistically reliable evidence to show that it does matter, but there is a lot of evidence available to show that it doesn't.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
You wanna credit the source of those quotes, dwarren?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I'd be interested in seeing the whole article.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
me too i would like to get a look at that article. thankx
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Merunning RCAs by power -- posted image.

It was discussed at work, however I am not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the given info. For me to buy this, I might have to try it.

Unfortunately some of this info was pulled from Rcichard Clark and David Navone, which in my book are circus clowns.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

Merunning RCAs by power -- posted image.

It was discussed at work

You used the wrong smilie.  It should have been a running RCAs by power -- posted image..                   running RCAs by power -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dwarren 
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

No, stevdart I was graceful in my choice of smilies... Your purple guy was the wrong one!

To me it seems there are flaws to both arguments. But there shouldn't as these really are mathematical and technical expressions.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

I have to disagree here.  Alternators produce rippling DC voltage because it can never be flattened out completely.  If you view this on an o-scope, it will look like a sin wave and will have a frequency.

I will agree that most of the time power wires will not induce any noise, but I, as well as others on here I'm sure have run into cases in the past where moving RCA's away from a power source solved a noise problem.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic