icon

Choosing A System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
freythman 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to spend around $80 for a system. I want remote start and keyless entry mainly; I'm not too worried about the security part. Any suggestions? Should I just save up and up my budget? Have has any one here had experience with Commando Alarms(http://www.commandocaralarms.com), and are they any good?
freythman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing, I want it to have a decent range. Nothing impressive, but I would like to be able to start my car from inside my dorm room (About 400-600ft. from the parking lot) and have some kind of indicator that it has been in fact started.
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know what great quality you will find for 80.00,unless it's a factory refurb or something off ebay,that someone has removed..
"ole blake"
isus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

What kind of car is it?  Don't forget you will probably need extra parts...Relays, Bypass module...etc...

We use the brand scytek here at work.  dealer cost is like $40.  See if you can get a galaxy 1000.

freythman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2005 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
I have an '01 Mitsubishi Mirage ES. It already has power windows and locks. Like I said, I'll up my budget if I need to. Ebay is definetely an option though... I just don't know what to look for. Is a CA630 decent? My main request is remote start. That's the main reason (aside from keyless entry) that I want a system.
nihar15 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am pretty much in the same situation as you are. Most of the people have told me to stay away from Bulldog.
Here are the few I came down to althouh the budget goes up to 100-120
Compustar 1WAM-S
Valet 562T - $120
Code-Alarm Remote Start System (CSI-400) - $49 The reviews seem to be good but the range looks bad
People, please add to the list/reviews etc.
1. One of my concerns is that if a remote starter is of poor quality then it can grid the ignition and fry the starter/start a fire etc. etc.
2. The Bulldog comes with a Ignition T-harness. That makes it attractive to install.
Preyhunter 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Astra 1000RS-2W $93 shipped on ebay. (The Scytek mentioned above)
I'm guessing you'll need a LCD pager remote for remote start confirmation, I'm not sure if any systems out there have a non-LCD remote that will confirm that the car is started. At $93, you might want to consider spending a few more bucks and getting one with an alarm as well. I've got an Autopage RS-720LCD that's supposed to show up today that I would probably recommend. I don't have any first hand experience with this particular model (I will soon), but I've had several other Autopage models in the past including the RS-850LCD which is like the big brother of the 720. The 855 (current version of my 850) sends/receives in FM band, while the 720 sends/receives on AM band. The RS-720LCD can be had on ebay for $115 shipped.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
i'd go with a scytek unit i have experience with a few of there models and they are decen't enough for the price.
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
nihar15 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
The Scytek Galaxy 5000RS and 4000RS look really enticing. Are they DIY type installs? I downloaded the manuals and they dont seem to be as easy as some others. I might be wrong though.
Is there any major difference between the 5000 and the 4000 models?
Thanks in advance
Nihar Desai
nihar15 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am probably going ahead with Design tech 23937 which I got from Advance auto for 90$. On the internet, I can get more advanced systems for the same price but this seems to have everything in there and if something goes wrong, Advance auto is nearby. Its called Autocommand and DEI markets it.
Any comments? Good/Bad opinions?
I have bought it but if its bad I can always return it.
Thanks
Nihar
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic