icon

How to solder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KBToys 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
It seems I can't master the way of soldering. I have a 45watt solder iron and when I tried it took me five minutes to solder the two wires together and it did not look good. Is there any tips or something I am missing?
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
In order to solder wires together well you must let the tip of the solder gun heat up the wire before you place your solder to it.  When you place your solder to the wire (if its hot enough ) the solder should "flow" around the joint evenly.  Then let it cool for a good connection.  Dont touch the soldring iron to the wire and then touch the solder to the tip of the iron.  That makes for a bad lumpy connection.  Keep practicing it takes a little practice.   Brian
Aznpanther98 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
i have a question too when i use mysoldering gun sometimes it takes almost forever to melt the solder but sometimesit'll melt instantly, is it a bad soldering gun? and is flux needed for soldering wires?
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I forgot to tell you.  In doing electronic type soldering you should use what they call Rosin core solder. It is also refered to as 60/40 solder.  60% tin and 40% lead.  Dont try to use plumbing type solder. It needs alot higher temputure to melt.  You can get 60/40 solder at your local Radio Shack.  Brian
dcash18 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
You may also have a bad tip on your gun.  Try replacing it
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
well.... a general idea here.  I find soldering tough, too.  Sometimes it goes quick, and other times slowly.  I try to avoid it.
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
You can't do a decent soldering job without a clean tip! If it gets crusty, Hit it with a steel wire brush while its cold, then when its hot, tin the tip (melt some solder onto it, then wipe it off with a "wet rag". AND, wipe it off everytime you use it, or the oxidation builds up. This goes for every type of soldering iron, gun, etc.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic