the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Somthing is not working right in my setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

bginamercedes1 wrote:
lol it is the same with the cap and with out the cap

If it is the same either way, you just elminated the cap as your problem. This is deductive reasoning. So if I understand what you are saying, the voltage drops with the cap NOT in use, this would leave one to believe the electrical system is at fault.

bginamercedes1 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
http:///.com/PHEONIX-DIGITAL-1-5-FARAD-CAPACITOR-BRAND-NEW-2005_W0QQitemZ5822606816QQcategoryZ75387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
that is the cap that i got...
bginamercedes1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
the right now the voltage drops with and without the cap sorry i did not word it right. but with out a cap my voltage droppos and my 500/1 amp turns off and then it done not sound right because the amp has to power on again and it take a little bit of time
bginamercedes1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
the voltage only drops when the system really thumps but otherwise it stays at a stady 13+ volts
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Your sound system is demanding too much from your electrical system, and over time has worn down the alternator.  A cap will not fix this problem, only help to partially mask it.  A cap does not ensure that your amp will see a constant 13 volts if the alternator cannot supply it.  The purpose of a cap is to smooth out the ripples on the supply voltage.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
geepherder is right.  Everything will start to wear out over time.  Your alternator has started to wear out because of your constant use.  The current draw of your system seems to be borderline too much for stock alternator.  What kind of car do you have again?
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren is correct.  You eliminated the cap as a possible source of your current draw, which is exactly what I thought would happen.  The problem is your alternator or a bad battery, or both.  And by the way, leave the cap out of your system after you upgrade your alternator.  It is not needed.
Support the12volt.com
bginamercedes1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
i think all of you are right,.. i have a Mercedes 300CE 88 and it has a stok alternator that use to support all my stuff but not dose not...aw looks like i need to get a new one.. any one know a good alternator to get???
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic