adding power door locks to 99 cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
menaztricks 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have a 99 Cavalier that doesnt have power anything. Recently I had an avital 2100 alarm installed, that supports power door locks and would like to add an actuator to all 4 doors. Having this done where the alarm was installed would cost me around $200, but based on the prices I've been looking at, it seems I can do it myself for under $50. This is what I would like to be able to do, when I push the button to activate the alarm, I want all doors to lock, when I deactivate, all doors to unlock. According to the 2100 installation manual, I need 2 relays for this. I've read a few articles online, on how to add the actuators to the doors, wiring diagrams, etc.., but on the cars I have seen it done, they usually have a wiring sleeve that passes the wires from the door to the car. I would need to double check, but since this car never had power windows or door locks, I am 99% sure it doesnt have a way to do this. So how would I go about running the wires? I assume I would need to drill a hole, but then how do I keep the wires from getting smashed everytime the door closes.

I would also like to add 4 rocker switches to the center console so I can open/close each door individually from the inside. I am not 100% sure how I would go about doing this, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  

adding power door locks to 99 cavalier - Last Post -- posted image.

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  

they make contact when the door is closed. 

go to www.summitracing.com   and type in key word PRF-40022

menaztricks 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thats awesome. What would you use to cut a hole big enough to fit those?
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
the car does have rather large boots and without any power, there's lots of room to run wires into the door.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
menaztricks 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I was just out there taking a look at it, and I just realized, the front doors have speakers in them, of course I have a wiring sleeve. So that takes care of the front, on the back doors the holes to run wires are already there, so I think all I need to do is run some split loom tubing from the doors to the car and I'm set.  

I decided on buying the power door lock kit from bulldog security, along with the trunk release kit. It says one is master and 3 are slaves, will this stop me from being able to control each invidual door later on? I'm looking at this wiring diagram, which I assume is pretty much the same as bulldogs http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/330-013.pdf and trying to think of how to add switches to that to control the doors from inside the car. How do these actuators actuall work? If I hooked one up directly to 12v and ground it, would it open or close and then reversing the polarity would do the opposite? If so, then could I just wire up 4 DPDT switches, add 12v to them, and hook them directly to the actuators? Along with the wires that connect to the relay included in the kit.

menaztricks 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
bump

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic