icon

Customize Stock Sub Location with FG

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
squarepusher 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

I am considering replacing the stock sub in my 2003 Honda Pilot.  To date I have found very little on the subject other than driver swaps and mount depth extensions.  Rather than just put a new driver in, I would like to seal the stock location...it doesn't look as though Honda sealed it too well.  My first thoughts are to use fiberglass but I would entertain other suggestions.  If fiberglass is the best option, what would be the best way to create the enclosure?  I have attached pictures (not my vehicle) of the stock location with trim panels removed.

Customize Stock Sub Location with FG -- posted image.

Customize Stock Sub Location with FG -- posted image.

Please give me suggestions on the best way to seal this mounting location so that I can get the best possible performance out of a driver change.

Thanks.

-Chris

youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
alright ive done some thinking about this and i think that you cant get in there to build the back of the box so i think that all you can do is seal it with some glue like silicon and then pad the back panal with fat mat or some other kind of pading.
but is you can get the actual panal of you should be able to build the boxes back and then seal it all up in there if you cant get it of then. somebody else has to help you i dont have the nolege to help you.
Customize Stock Sub Location with FG -- posted image. dont worry somebody has done this on this forum
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok since nobody else is going to help you, im going to give it a shot. is there eny way that you can get the panal that you are trying to fiberglass off. what type of sub are you going to put in there so i can get an idea of the size of encloser your going to need. try and give me as much info on what you are trying to do.
it looks like there are some sqrues on there that might take that panal off. or they could gust be clip holes i cant make them out. i realy need more info on the depth, weith of the sub and the stock encloser depth. if all else fales you sould go with the fatmat and selent rout. if you give me more info i sould be able to help.Customize Stock Sub Location with FG -- posted image.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
squarepusher 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply Aaron.  To give more information, the existing hole is cut for a 10 inch drive with 3 inch depth.  Since it is not deep enough to accommodate most aftermarket woofers, a bezel must be made.  No big problem, I've done that before.

As for the panel, it is permanent.  It only comes off once, if you know what I mean and I am not about to start cutting huge chunks out of the panel.  So, in short, the only access to the inside of that cavity is through that 10 inch hole.  So with that, the question remains, can a fiberglass enclosure be created through a 10 inch hole?  Or the real question is, should a fiberglass enclosure be created through a 10 inch hole? 

-Chris
Uniqueaudio 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Have you thought of maybe mounting a subwoofer in there backwards? You say it's 3 inches deep so finding a speaker with a 3 inch excursion should be no problem whatsoever. And then from there you can work on the outside with some fiberglass. Maybe make it see through so the magnet of the subwoofer is seen. Or somehow cut out a circle in the part of the car that cover's over that are. Something to make it look good will be a whole lot easier from the outside then in that small space. Something like the Audiobahn Pro Compression 10" subwoofer might suit you well. Plus on top of that it's only 4 1/2 inches deep so it will be easy to work around. Actally if you wanted to mount it regularly this would be a good speaker, and you could just work out maybe 2 inches and be good to go. Hope this helps you some.
Sincerely,
     Unique
        Audio
uniquekennels@hotmail.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=1233d56afc0dec82f1ca882c6f69d7ff&threadid=10630&highlight=fiberglass (look on the 2nd and 3rd pages for more pictures) This guy had an enclosure fiberglassed in the factory subwoofer location. It wouldn't be very easy to do the same thing though.

I would reccomend just using a MDF spacer and mounting a decent 10" sub that is capable of running free air in the factory location. You can seal up some of the small holes in the sidepanel with something like dynmat. You should probably use some sound deadening material (like dynmat or fatmat) on the metal sidepanel the woofer is mounted to and the metal panel behind the sub.

nstlfrk 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
how about the pioneer subs they have a flater sub i cant remember.
here is the link.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4057_104401920,00.html
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
alright buddy, customsuburb's (and thank customsuburb for helping this guy i dident want him to go without eny help) got the idea and that link sould help you out alot. this forum has more info than i now what to do with. there is always somebody friendly to help you out. i know how it is to be the newbe so i tryed to help you out. as for the sub you sould go with i think the infinity kappa perfict 10.1 will do the trick if a bezel can acomidate it this driver has good sq and spl its more on the sq side. it is also free air capable so you dont have to worry about it our taxing its self. you can run it in full free air setup at 125w or something like that, but in your case you sould have it farly sealed up so you can run it around its rms 250w to 350w. this is not the only free air sub that you can use. it is gust a suggestion there are a cople other's out there. you can use a non free air sub but you cant power it near its rms. you gust find a strong good sq sub that you like that will work and run it at half its rms or lower probibly lower you gust have to be carful when doing this. it is probibly gust better to get a free air sub. hope this helps Customize Stock Sub Location with FG -- posted image. good luck if you have any other probs gust drop us a post.
Aaron
squarepusher 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you all for your help.  I think that customsuburb has the right idea though.  I spent countless hours on the hondapilot.org site looking for exactly the thread customsuburb linked.  For whatever reason, I couldn't find it.  I guess it is time to plug in the sawsall with the metal cutting blade. 

On the other hand, it may be possible to replicate what that guy did through the stock opening.  It looks like he used two boards to seal the top and side then a few layers of glass and resin to seal the whole thing up.  It also looks like he used a 12 inch driver which I don't think I need.

If anyone has any advice relating to the task of glassing the enclosure through the stock opening, I am all ears.

Thanks to nstlfrk for the Pioneer link (didn't know they made shallow subs that could handle power) and continued thanks to Aaron for his suggestions. 

-Chris

-Chris
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
i took a look at that link and i think that is the way you sould go it will seal it totaly and you will ge able to get the most out of your sub then you dont have to use a free air sub. if you are worryed about keeping it stock the that approch will be good you gust look at the panal you tuck off and make it is close as possible. this is where the fiberglass is so great you can do enything with it. you can also get almost any sub you want in there gust buy having it come out alittle in that area. you could also try to use the actual panal as a mold for your fiberglass, so you could make a duplicat of the panal. gust do some thinking and figure out what you really want. good luck
AaronCustomize Stock Sub Location with FG -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic