icon

15'' neon tubes to toggle switch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steviejoe_m 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I bought two of those cheap 15' neon tubes that you can get at your local autozone or oriellys auto part store that pulse with the music. They dont give any specs on the electrical ratings or w/e, unless they are on the inside of the package that i cant open because they are a gift. They both conatin cigarette lighter adapters. What i was wondering is exactly what i would need and how i would wire them to one switch so that they dont have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter and can both be turned on with a simple toggle switch. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Im a noob to this stuff.
steviejoe_m 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well i have been doing a lil bit of researching trying to figger this out. I guess ill ask a few more specific questions.
1. Would a 10 amp fuse be suitable for these two 15 in neon tubes?
2. Would i only have to run ONE power wire from the positive battery terminal to ONE switch, then run TWO wires from the "Power Out" post on the switch, or would it require something like a distribution block?
3. Can this still be done even though it includes one of those sensor boxes that allows it to pulse to the music on each neon?
Oznium 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
10 amp fuse would be fine, although they are probably drawing a max of 2 amps total. So you could use a 3 or 5 amp fuse as well.
Yes you run 1 wire from the battery to the switch. Then 2 wires to the neons.
Assuming there is no inverter inside of the cig plug, you can just snip them off and discard.
If there is an inverter in there, you will have to wire the power directly to the plug. You could strip the wires back, and wrap them around the nipple and ground. Tape it up real good.
Yes it can still be done even if they have built in music control.
Good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic