icon

DEI accessory

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Black Dak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

I purchased the 520T Backup Battery for my Clifford alarm, but the wiring disgram has me confused.

Where it shows the harness from the 520T to the harness of the alarm, the diagram shows two boxes, but no indication of what they mean.  I even stopped at my stereo shop and asked, they didn't know either.  They had DEI fax instructions to us, but still no information.

Is it just a tap into the power wires for the alarm brain, should there be diodes or something there?

Also, I bought a 507T Tilt sensor.  It descibes the three connections to be made, but I want to make sure I am thinking of the correct spots.

The first is +12V constant, that's easy.

The second is (-) ground-when-armed output.  What is an example of a grounded-when-armed output?

The last is an instant trigger input of vehicle security system.  Would I just tap into dome lights or something?  That doesn't seem right, which is why I am asking!

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
On the tilt sensor:
Most alarms have a ground-when-armed output; all it does is provide a connection to ground when you arm the alarm, and open the connection when it's disarmed. That lets you control sensors and devices that you only want power on when armed.
If the alarm doesn't have that kind of output, you might try simply hooking it up to the ignition switch line through a diode (for isolation when the ignition is turned on). The current draw of the sensor is so low that the ignition circuit effectively acts as a ground. Only difference is that the sensor will be on whenever you turn off the ignition, rather than arming the alarm.
Don't hook the trigger input to the dome lights-
That'd damage the sensor, because it can't handle the current that would be delivered through the dome light circuit. Your alarm should have a (-) trigger input, so you just need to find out which one is suitable, and tie it to that.
Black Dak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks.  I'll go with that and post again if I run into any more questions.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic