icon

Hey new guy here!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stumppy84 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys looks like everyone has done some good work here. I am a newbie but have strated a coulpe glass projects for my 66 olds 442. A sub box, and a package tray. But i would also like your opion on what im doing. This is the sub box that im working on. in the middle is the sub and to the sides are the places for the amp and the compasitor. https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/stumppy84/DVC00003.jpg (please forgive me on the darkness of the pic my barn isnt very well light).

My question is is that, can i just smooth it out with bondo or should I just gelcoat it then paint it the color I want?

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/stumppy84/DVC00002.jpg

And second i have these kickpanels and they are made out of plastic but have a texture to them that I dont want .Should I sand the texture off and then primer it and then paint it the color that I want? Keeping in mind that they are a little flimsy. Or should I fiberglass on top of it to make it stonger?

Thanks in advance

Stumpy

Stumpy
stumppy84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
can someone plaese help me!!!
Stumpy
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
i recommmend bondoing the sub box as u can make sure that u get the box perfectly smooth... its alot of sanding but the look will be well worth it.... for the kick panels if you just resined them and sanded them smooth it looks like that would work... or u could use like everglass over them and sand that down to get ur smooth look
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
hey stump,
For the box, have you glassed it yet??? doesn't look like you have to me. unless you glassed it on the inside??? If not, you might want to lay a couple layers of glass on there then think about smoothing. If you have glassed or (or once you get done) apply body filler, sand that smooth, then go with spot glazing putty and high build primer. As for the kick panels:
You should just be able to take 50-60 grit paper to it and fill the remaining scratches with high build. Don't put just resin on it because it will crack and break after a while.
ragoal12,
Just me catching it and I'm not sure if it's meant or you just didn't notice but, on your signature it says:
S.O.B custsoms
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
sand the glass till it is resanably smooth and then use body filler on the dips and pits. dont sand to much off though or the box will get fulimsy. good luck
Aaron Hey new guy here! -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
stumppy84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah i have glassed the box twice (like the old school leopard bed sheet that I used!).

So you think that I should just sand down the kick panels (not put on any glass) and primer it. but my question is is that is that will the paint crack being on plastic that is kinda flimsy. (im wanted to use car paint (the same color as my car).

Stumpy
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
if it gets kicked or bumped into hard enough. look at the bumpers of cars they are a plastic. hell look at saturns they are plastic. made by fisher-price.Hey new guy here! -- posted image.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, they should be fine. However if you want to be overly protective you could get by with spraying clear coat over it to protect it from abuse.
stumppy84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks guys for all the input ill post up some pics when there all done.

Stumpy
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
hey stumppy, you cant add resin, bondo, or everglass, it will not bond to plastic, so you will have to sand them, start off at 80 or 120 grit and work your way up to about 320 grit. from there you "should" use a plastic specific primer, then a regular high build primer, sand to 400 grit and paint. thats how to properly paint plastic.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic