icon

Remote turn-on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cali_pilot 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
I have done a search on this topic but I still have a couple questions.  I have a Pioneer AVIC-N2 and two amps and would like to use the remote turn-on lead from the N2 to turn on both amps but I am worried about the current draw.  The posts that I've read say that connecting two amps to a head units remote turn-on is OK but if you want three or more you need to add a relay.  I have no doubt that this is true but I'm just a bit confused because the installation manual for the N2 shows three amps sharing the same turn-on lead and does not say anything about adding a relay so I was wondering if maybe Pioneer's turn-on lead put out more current than other head units' turn-ons.  I don't really care since I will probably never have three amps but it just something I'd like to know.  I should be alright sharing the one remote turn-on with my two amps, right?
2011 Ford F-150 Super-Crew FX4
HU: Pioneer AVIC-Z1
Fronts: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
Rears: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
Amp: Profile AP1040
Sub: Pioneer TS-SWX251
TheSaint421 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  

yes, you will be fine with running the 2 amps of the remote turn on wire... if you wanted to run fans or anything else off the remote wire, you'd need a relay, (diagram available in the relay section, under special applications) and for about 3 bucks, you are safe for all future upgrades... and just as a side note, Pioneer's remote turn on wire isn't any more powerful than any of the others, they just show you how to wire multiple amps off the wire, if there were 5 amps in their diagram, they would still show them as all on the stock wire, without any relay involved, because that is something 'custom'....

but in the end, if you are sure you will never want another amp, or any acc. turning on with the amps, then by all means don't bother adding the relay, but for 3 bucks, and a few simple connections, I would rather the peace of mind knowing that it's ready for future upgrades..

regards, The Saint

Pioneer DEH P960MP
Eclipse EQ2102
Focal Utopia 165w3
JL 300/2
JL 10W6v2 (2)
JL Slash 500/1 (2)
Optima Yellowtop
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Agreed... I'm running 2) a2400 class d's and 2) ab 520's  all 4 on h/u remote.

It takes about (dont quote me).5 to .7 amps to turn on amp

and 50 volts to turn me on (LOL)

Gumby

Uncle Gumby
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Actually it takes less to turn on an amp.  Most decks only put out around 500mA (.5A) max for an amp turn on.  That being said, if you are trying to power on more than 2 amps (or accessories), it is highly recommended to use a relay.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic