Amp im interested in

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
$toreycadillac 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Phoenix Gold Xenon X200.2 
" Maximum Power Output From 1 - 4 Ohms Stereo or 2 - 8 Ohms Bridged" So if i wired the subs to get a 2 ohm load would that mean the rms per channel would be 400 instead of 200? 
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 200W x 2 @ 14.4V  and im assuming all cars put out 12 volts so how would i get 14.4? is there a thing you can buy for that? 
jshhhs 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

Forget about watts. Period. Think of watts as an advertisement. How efficient is the amp is the question. If the amp will run at 1 ohm then run at 1 ohm regardless of the watts it will hit way harder.

14.4 volts is the amount of juice your car gets when its running. The alternator puts about 14 volts out so it can charge the batt AND power the car electronics. Do NOT buy a capacitor-theyre crap. Get a battery in the trunk if you want to bump with the car off-any other power issue will be solved with a hi output alternator. In your case i wold just run at 10hm mono and get 4 gauge or better wiring. Oh yeah the deck is also important-how mnay volts are the preouts?

What the feezy?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
jshhhs wrote:

Forget about watts. Period. Think of watts as an advertisement. How efficient is the amp is the question. If the amp will run at 1 ohm then run at 1 ohm regardless of the watts it will hit way harder.

Whoa! That is pretty off there. Ignoring MAX wattage is sensible, but RMS wattage is a legitimate number that needs to be followed.

You have now suggested that one can purchase a 100 watt amp for a 1000 watt sub, I don't think that is going to work too well. The same goes for an amp that is too powerful for a speaker. There are thernal limitations on speakers. 

Efficiency is relative, but not really a controllable factor, some amps are simply better at this.

Few amps are stable at one ohm. Running any amp at one regardless of the amp, will increase THD greatly and cause more heat throug the device, causing a shortened life.

$tory, that amp will produce roughly 200 watts per speaker, which would be fine. When your car is on it will produce roughly 13-14 volts.

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

in theory it will make 400 watts rms at two ohms stereo.  as far as getting 14.4 volts i sell step- up transformers to acheive that at only $200 bucks a piece talk about a bargan!!!!!

seriously when the engine is running your alternator will put out 14.4 volts so no extra stuff needed their.

hobobasher 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
dude use a cap on the subs you could run another battery thats extreme tho use a cap your subs will hit harder the amp wont be starved of power thats why they also call it a "stiffing* cap it basicly stiffins the subs ask most everyone on this site and they will tell you caps are not junk and with that amp you wont need a second battery thats a waste of time and its rediculous you wont need a cap but its good to have to stiffin the subs basicly
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

hobobasher wrote:
dude use a cap on the subs you could run another battery thats extreme tho use a cap your subs will hit harder the amp wont be starved of power thats why they also call it a "stiffing* cap it basicly stiffins the subs ask most everyone on this site and they will tell you caps are not junk and with that amp you wont need a second battery thats a waste of time and its rediculous you wont need a cap but its good to have to stiffin the subs basicly

What did you just type?

Do you have any idea how this reads?

PUNCTUATION and GRAMMAR are cool these days.

And caps are realtively useless, as if this topic hasn't been beaten to death yet.

Stiffening subs? I digress...

hobobasher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
you have your opinion i ahve mine i type how i feel which isnt relevant to the topic but whocares he wont need a cap at all the way i explained it was choppy but you probably got the idea and if not well i almost feel bad
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
stiffening caps are like diamond rings all they do is look good! and thats about it.
hobobasher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
lol no you misunderstood me in trying to explain what i meant i screwed up i didnt quite explain how i meant i know what you mean they only look good thats about it i know what you mean i was talking about like they do help my subs hit alot harder since i added one but it depends on your preference
p.s dwarren respect is cool these days too possibly the biggest thing you lack
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
hobobasher... I am not saying this to make fun or start an type of drama, but it is really hard to understand your posts.  Since you don't have punctuation the sentences run together and become really confusing to read.  It might help more if you punctuated so people can better understand what you are saying.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic