icon

Sub Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hi there i have two jl audio 12w6s.  my question is i was wondering if it is a must that you seperate the subs apart from each other. i wanted to make a box and put both of them in it in one big box.  thanks alot. 

donsmith249 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
No it is not a must but the advantage is the box is braced resulting in less flexing of the wood. I personaly do seprate chambers on all the boxes I build.
Don Smith
Plano TX
eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

hey there. see i have a 93 mustang gt and i took out the tire and jack and the measurments are 28 long 28 wide and 7 tall and with the curves that will give me about 2.4 cubic what thats about  what i need but if i divided it, it wont be enough then.  im making a sealed enclosure.  i was wonding if it will still sound the same if it were chambered.  and if you know about mustang trunks do you think it will work.  thanks alot for your help. 

ccaudio 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

you dont really need to chamber them

eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Hey there but will they still sound the same as chambered would or will they be better.  thanks. 
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
2.4 cubic feet will be fine. As long as the speakers will be given the same signal, a divider is not necessary. If the speakers will be operated by two different signals, be sure to use a divider to separate the two enclosures, or cancellation will occur
F4Pilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

You want to make a box?  Or is that a figure of speech relating to installing your subs?  If you didnt already know:   You want to make an enclosure by making a frame just outside the "hole" so that you can place a 3/4" or larger mdf slab over the frame to mount your subs in your tire well.  This will maximize airspace .

Two choices:  Fiberglass which could get messy or a couple layers of sound deadener.  Both require a good plan.  Have done both with excellent results.

Post if you needed more info.

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
eeh1025 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hey there what i planed to do was use fiberglass, what i was going to do is put the frame around the tire well and then fiberglass it all the way up to the wood frame(2 coats of fiberglass) and then i what going to put the caulk sealer on the frame boards and then place the MDF slab on top and srew it down and then seal it again for the sub hole.  so do you think that will be okay for the two subs and its going to be single chambered and im running a Jl audio 500/1 sub amp and does that mean it will get one signal.  So do you think this setup will be good.  thanks alot for all your help. 

Ernie

F4Pilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Youve got it figured out.  As bberman posted, mono signals do not require separate chambers.  Thats a good sub amp.  You'll be hittin.
02 Odyssey / 99 F4
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
With that setup 1 chamber will be fine. It sounds like your ready to get started on your project. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic