icon

New Deck = Dead Battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nomad45 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

I've just installed a Clarion DXZ-555MP head unit in my 2005 Blazer.  The problem i am having is the battery goes dead within 48 hours. By dead, i mean there is absolutely NO power at all. Interrior lights do not even work.  Leaving it parked for one day, it's almost unstartable, however lights still come on, etc.  When I remove the head unit, all works fine, the battery is not draining.

I've also switched head units with my old car to a Clarion DXZ-835MP with the same results. 

To isolate things connected, i only have the two constant 12 volt cables connected, the ground and the 12 volt switched from the fuse box (as there is no switched line in the stock harness).  Same issue.

I'm just curious what could be causing this.  Perhaps i have something hooked up wrong, but i've double checked all that with the clarion manuals, and with the wiring information for the blazer and all appears okay.

There are two constant 12 volt leads off the HU.  One is for "memory" for the HU (has the 3 amp fuse in line), and one is for "Bus Power" (has a 15 amp fuse in line). By bus power i think they mean the CENet bus.

Any insight anyone could provide would be great.  If you've seen this before and have suggestions, i'd appreciate it.

Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
If you take the Unit out and the problem goes away, but happens with two different units, your problem is definelty in your wiring. If the battery is draining then possibly have something shorted with a parasitic drain not enough to trip fuses but enough to drain you dry before you can start it again.  The easiest way to wire a deck is to purchase the required harness for your specific car, then you don't have to worry about what goes where, its all color to color.  Double check your wires on the Deck and find the colors of you Blazers constant, switched, and ground. Look in the Vehicle wiring section and look up your year and model
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
getting a harness from your local stereo shop would be the best idea. but did you already cut the factory harness?
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
First off, if you used the chime interface you would get the igniton output you need to properly connect your radio. You say you have two constants, you don't use two constants, that is why your battery is draining. You need a constant and an ignition for your radio. Get the right interface and your problems will be solved. 'Bus' power is ignition by the way
Jazzy
nomad45 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have the relocation harness. The old stock deck is in a compartment in the back.

I've matched up color to color, but believe it or not, there is actually two constants.  This PDF shows the wires i'm working with, the colors and where they are in the harness provided with the deck by clarion. http://www.teamclarion.com/sharedwebdbs/clarionsupport.nsf/b519d112bdcca8b588256a630071fab1/1ba338f8da773f5b88256dfd006e3923/$FILE/Harness1.pdf

Bus power in the manual indicates it should be a 12 volt constant.  Can i run this bus power to the switched 12 volt line?  Would it cause any issues? Perhaps losing memory in the sirius tuner?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic