icon

grounding?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
help me out here.  My friends amp quit on him a week ago.  It works fine on the bench, but in the vehicle when it powers on the voltage drops to about 3 volts.  It's a strange one because the ground shows 1-2 ohms but when you turn the ignition on it jumps up to 60.  It's in a 98 altima.  What am I missing here? 
a true canadian eh!
thefivespeeder 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

how are the wires attached to the amp? if you have some spare wire attach it a few inches from the battery, even jump the +12 to the remote, then see if it still acts up

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
What's your grounding point?  If you're trying to read ground resistance with the amp on, you will get funky readings that are meaningless.  Also, what "drops to three volts"?
Support the12volt.com
schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

amp works fine when jumered off the battery.  But, move the ground to the engine block and it won't fire up.  The original ground was taken to a seat bolt with paint removed.  And the 12 volt supply goes down to three volts when the ignition is turned on.  After you remove the remote wire, the voltage slowly builds up from 3 volts, back up the 12 as if a cap is charging.  (?)

a true canadian eh!
thefivespeeder 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
idk if it works everywhere else i guess i'd say it's the wiring
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, it's definitely a wiring problem, but your ground shouldn't be between 1 and 2 ohms.  A good ground should be .3-.4 ohms or less.  Looks like it's time to rewire.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
If you cant get a solid ground, possibly your battery needs a heavier connect to the chassis. I am assuming you are using good quality wire of a good size and cleaned the shmutz around where the ground bolts in. I had a alike problem, i needed to give the amp more ground, just because the quality wasnt fully there so i tested it out with 2 wires doing the ground, and when it worked, just bumped up the gauge a tid, worked great.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic