icon

adding fans to cool amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
me2vn 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone.  I currently drive a toyota 4runner and am planning to install a bazooka el2150 amp.  Not wanting to sacrifice any cargo space, I've decided to put the big ole thing into one of the rear side pockets.  My problem is that the space in this pocket is enclosed and I'm afraid that there isn't sufficient ventilation for cooling.  I was thinking about installing a couple of fans(intake + outtake; is usin 2 overkill?) into the door that closes up the pocket.  Would this solve my problem or is there something else I could do? 

I did a search on this forum to find out about installing some fans too.  It seems I need a relay for the job and generally understand how to wire it.  However, this silly retartid monkey doesn't know where to find the constant 12V source to connect to the relay.  Do I just use the same one that goes to the stereo head unit?

Does anyone have any other tips/advice for me?

Thanks!  This forum has been a great help for me.

DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
i did the same thing you're trying to do ...i put my amp in the rear side pocket of my van and put a fan  ...i used the power wire from the amp for the constant 12volt
me2vn 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Sweet!  So everything works well in your van?

I don't understand what you mean by the "power wire from the amp for your 12V source."  Could ya explain a bit for me?

nubiannupe 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  

Most fans have two wires:  the 12v trigger/turn-on and the negative.  I'd recommend connecting the 12v trigger wire to the turn-on lead coming from your amp.  There should be three power-based connections on your amp; the 12v constant connection (this is the one that *should* be coming directly from your battery, the ground connection, and the amp turn-on connection.  The last connection is the one that I'm talking about.  That way, the fan comes on when the amp comes on, and turns off when the amp turns off.  If you hook it up to the 12v constant connection, the fan will stay on all the time (unless you have some sort of switch to turn it off).

And I don't know what kind of fan you have, but make sure you have the fans oriented correctly.  Doesn't do much good if you have both of them sucking air in, but none coming out, or vice versa...

In any case, good luck with your install.

G. Rick (aka; Tha "R")
**Peter North is my idol***
MECP-Certified 1st Class Installer
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

I think you can burn out your remote lead on your HU if you dont use a relay for applications using more than one component.  Correct me If Im wrong.

A relay is a good idea with multi-amp setups especially with a fan.  If you set up your relay at the head unit, you can tap at any time to add an EQ or other equipment requiring a remote turn-on, tapping the factory 12v constant at the HU.    If you relay at the amps, tap a wire from the 12v input terminal to use as a constant.

Did you know Peter North started his career in the industry with lets say...other installers with the same tool package? 

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
me2vn 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yea.  I forgot to mention that the remote turn on is already being used to start the rear "factory amps" for the speakers in the back, and I was planning to turn on another amp + fans(them lighted 80mm computer fans with laser cut steel BATMAN grill  adding fans to cool amp -- posted image. ).  I'll be sure to have one blowing in and one blowing out w/ a filter at the intake to keep some dust from accumulating.

So.....you're saying I can just cut into the yellow 12V source that's going into the HU for the constant source and have it split to the HU and the relay? 

Thanks for the replies.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

You have the correct idea on how to cool them but in order to hook it up you will need power. You will also need to turn that power on and off as nubiannupe said. Now to hook up the power to the fan you will need to use your remote turn on lead to supply + power to the fan.  Now that remote turn on lead can only supply a limited amount of power so to increase that you will need to hook up a SPDT relay https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp to the remote turn on so you get the correct amount of power. And then connect your ground wire on the fan to a ground source. Here is a diagram that explains how to hook up the relay:

• 87 - Constant

• 86 : GROUND
• 30 - Remote Wire Accessories ( amps and fans )
• 85 : Remote Input from HU
• 87a: NOT USED

me2vn 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

I was just unclear of where to get the "constant" power for the #87 terminal on the relay.  Do I just splice into one of the wires that supplies power to the HU, or is there another place where I can grab a wire to connect there, or can i stick a small wire into my powerwire coming from the battery going to the amp?

Also, I recall something about putting a fuse somewhere just to be safe.  Command this silly newbie.  I shall do thy bidding.

On a side note...is it just a wire that's loose if my climate control lights dont turn on unless i give the console a little "love tap"?adding fans to cool amp -- posted image.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
For your constant you want to run a fused wire from either your battery or your distribution block if you have one. But what ever you do dont splice into the constant in the back of your head unit. if you have any more ?'s just post them.
me2vn 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

Now, what's the easiest way to tap into the powerwire for the amplifier?  I don't have a distribution block.

What if I just wrap a wire around the end of a power wire and insert them both into the power input of the amplifier?  Would this be acceptable or would stuff blow up?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic