icon

Are my subs partially blown?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nilfx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Well let me start off first by first telling you guys the events leding towards the problem. I was driving today on my way home on the highway when suddenly over bumps it seems like my remote wire was loose and causing the amp to go on and off, it must of happened about 5 times total, on the 6th time however, it sounded like my subwoofer amp was off. I pulled over and opened the trunk, and my subs were working, they were on, however they werent kicking as hard as they were before. I had the volume on about 30 (50% volume of my headunit, max is 60) while the remote wire was being tossed around. Now when my subs hit they barley create any bass at all. you can see the subs moving in and out however on the low bass notes it does not produce any bass at all, i mostly hear the plastic cone rattling or something of that sort. on the high bass notes you hear some bass, but close the trunk and thats the end of it. its nothing like the bass before. What do you guys think the problem is? Bad subs? Wiring loose somewhere? Bad amp? I plan to find someone (dont have much friends with systems) with a spare amp just to test my subs to see if its the amp or subs, but i thought i would ask here as many of you are very experienced here and extremley talented!
My steup and car:
2001 bmw 330i with HK (if it matters)
Stock interior speakers with stock HK amp
Pioneer AVH P6400CD
Kicker KX1200.1 (2002 or 2003 model, not the 04/05 model)
Two Kicker L7 Dual 4 Ohm wired in parallel to bring it down to 1 Ohm for the KX1200.1
The amp settings was as follows:
Gain: 6
Bass Boost: 1
Xover: 50
1/0 guage wiring for power and ground
I also searched and this is the closest thread i could find to my problem, except both my subs dramatically decreased.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=57691&KW=clipping
Thanks for any input guys/girls!
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
to test for a bad voice coil use a dmm connect it to your subs. put the dmm on (ohm) you should see close to what the subs are rated for. carfully push the cone and keep checking the resitance as you push.
nilfx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

menace2sobriety wrote:
to test for a bad voice coil use a dmm connect it to your subs. put the dmm on (ohm) you should see close to what the subs are rated for. carfully push the cone and keep checking the resitance as you push.

Thanks! I will pull the subs out and give it a try tomorrow morning if i can find my dmm. I dont really deal with testers alot however my father is a electrcian so he has them at hand, are they any changes i should note when pushing the cone in and out? should they float around the subs rated power while im pushing or should it fluxuaite? I would think it should stay around the same but just checking :)

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
yes it will vary what you are looking for is a dead spot. so move the cone slow. 
honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
You can also smell the speaker if it smells like something burning or brunt. Probally most of the time blown
you can't be ahead of the curb if you aren't LIVIN LOUD

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic