icon

stereo or left side only?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

im putting in a small system for some one and their amp is only stable 4 ohms mono. the sub's he got are dvc 2 ohm. i dont want to wire them in 8 ohm. should i wire them 2 ohm stereo using L&R. or use  "Y" splitter coming just off the left side. im thinking split it from the left most bass is recorded mono and its in the left channel. would you agree? the sub amp is being "daisy-chained" from the mid amp.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  

Your question is not clear;  are you talking about 2 subs?  How would you get 2 ohm stereo with two DVC 2 ohm subs?  And if the amp is daisy-chained, it will have L and R inputs.  So what would be the reason for the Y splitter?

Look at the power handling of each sub and the power output of the amp.  Use just one sub in this install if it works with the amp's power, or use both at a combined 8 ohms bridged.  This person should either change subs or change to a mono amp, because it looks like his gear is mismatched.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

dual 4's.......wire each in series then parallel to the amp use left and right side of RCA's.......             Pantera did record Domination (bass drum) in stereo

also depends on the musician recording engineer too.

Uncle Gumby
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
yes 2 subs dvc 2 ohm. last night when i wrote this i was very tired. and druged up on cough syrup. i know i cant get 2 ohms stereo out of this set.  my main questions was. since mono is the left channel right? but twice the power" "  my only choice is to wire it up stereo 4 ohms per sub. should i keep the amp stereo. or feed it two left channels so it has no separation. i want to stay away from wiring it up 8 ohms and lose power.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Your going to get the exact same output from the amp weather you hook up each sub separatly at 4 ohms as you would bridgeing at 8 ohms.  Just bridge it at 8 ohms its much much simpler and each sub will definately get the same signal.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic