icon

Remote start + siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
What if you used the parking light to control the relay for your siren, with the other side of the coil connected through a diode to the ignition run line?
Then it wouldn't go off when you're in RS mode, but it would when the car is off.
Only drawback is that you couldn't turn on your parking lights while the engine is off without your siren going off. It'd be a good headlight reminder though- you won't leave your headlights on by accident for sure..
alex_8803 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
no i need my lights for sure, thats the only way right now i can tell if its locked or unlocked when i click the remote.
jesus there has to be some way to make this happen... thx for help so far
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

What's the make and model of the unit? 

I did something similar to a friends car but I don't know if it would work with your unit.

See here:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=59953&KW=bdl666

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
That's basically the idea, use the ignition run line on the other side of the coil, so it acts as the ground return for the relay when the car is off. When you're in RS mode, it'll be high, and the relay won't energize, even when the parking lights start flashing, and the siren will remain silent. You need to put an extra diode inline to prevent the siren from going off when you have the ignition on and the parking lights off. (Diode stripe should go towards the IGN line)
It doesn't disable your lights, if that's what you were concerned about; you're just using the parking light feed to power up the relay during the lock/unlock period.
If you have any situations where you want the parking lights on without the engine running, you may want to just put in a switch to manually allow this without having the siren go off. Normally you wouldn't want the parking lights on without the engine running, so I don't thing that's a problem.
alex_8803 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
well the thing is is that i want my parking lights to flash when i lock or unlock the doors as well as activate the siren. my unit is a Valet 551r or something... very close at least
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
This is what you could do.
Remote start + siren - Page 2 -- posted image.
If you want to leave your lights on with the engine off, then you should put in a switch to manually disconnect it, to prevent the siren from sounding off when you do that.
alex_8803 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
where does 87 a lead out to. just no where? other than that it makes sense, just tap the parking light wire and put i diode inbetween? just wondering why need the diode?
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
You don't need to connect the 87A terminal; the single pole double throw (SPDT) type of relay just happens to be the most common one used around here, so I used that.
You can use a SPST relay if you have one, which doesn't have a normally closed contact.
The diode is so that the relay won't go off when you turn your ignition on and the lights off. If you didn't use the diode, your siren would go off while you were driving unless you turned the lights on.
Any time the relay control inputs (85 and 86) get a difference of 12V, it'll energize and close the relay; it doesn't matter which one is 12V and which one is ground. The diode just keeps it from energizing when the tables are turned, when there's 12V on the ignition and 0V on the parking lights.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic