icon

adding four 2 wire actuators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
enwycee 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
hi, i just purchased a keyless entry unit with 4 actuators on ebay. It has wires for unlock and lock outputs. How can I hook up all four actuators with these two wires? I was looking at the diagram for hooking up one actuator using 2 relays, thats fine.  but i have four actuators, so it says to connect them in parallel across the relays.... how can i do this?
schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
mount them in the doors, and run the wires to a central location.  Most likely up, under the dash. thenwire them together to create a two wire connection.  test to make sure they all work together ie. they all lock together.  reverse them as needed.
a true canadian eh!
spudric123 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

No it works best if you wire them up as fire wire locks with a relay. by doing it this way you are able ensure they will work everytime and they will not have a problem. mount all of them and then run wires to the relay use the one five wire lock relay for all four actuators. this i know will work i do it a lot in the bay.

Spencer- Best Buy Mobile Install

schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, that's great when there is a 5 wire, but he said there are 4 2-wire actuators...
a true canadian eh!
rockycat 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
Use the two relay setup for two wire actuators. Will work all four in parallel. Use good guage wire to the relays. Relay setup can be found under relays on this forum.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

spudric123, while the relay configurations for 5 wire locks and actuators are practically identical, one relay alone would only lock or only unlock, not both. 

enwycee, do as schmoo said, run all actuator leads to a central location and connect all the leads to the two leads labeled "to actuators" from the  two relays in the diagram below, reversing polarity on each set of actuator leads as necessary so they all lock and unlock together.  

adding four 2 wire actuators - Last Post -- posted image.
adding four 2 wire actuators - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
enwycee 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
so from each door, spilce each actuator wire together (blue to blue), (green to green) until you are at the relays? then connect them to pin 30 on relays? This will work fine with what gauge wire? I am using radio shack speaker wire, 18 ga., then splitting the two wires into one and using that one wire. It is the same thickness as the actuator wires. Thanks for the help all.
enwycee 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
ok so i followed all of your instructions and now i wired all the door locks to a central location, leaving two wires from the actuators which i tested and it locks all four at the same time. Now I installed the keyless entry unit's wires to the appropriate pins on both relays. By the way it is an Autoloc unit KL 550. It has red for power and black for ground, and a blue/white wire for lock output and GREEN / WHITE for unlock. It also says to connect a ORANGE / blue and ORANGE / green to ground which i did. Now when i wired all the wires to the appropriate pins, it would not lock or unlock. I could feel the lock relay working but not the unlock. Is there another way i can wire it up? or use a "PCB latching relay"? how much for one of those?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
By the sounds of it you bought a keyless entry unit that has internal built in relays. Verify this please.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic