icon

amp choice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  

I have a TS-W305C pioneer  12" 400RMS 800MAX subwoffer it is SVC (4 ohm) and i have a choice of amplifiers. 

The Pioneer GM-5100T is a two channel amp producing 380W x 1 RMS and 760W x 1 MAX

The Pioneer GM-D510M is a mono block class D amp producing 300W x 1 RMS and 600W x 1 MAX

Now here comes the big question, which do you think would perform better?  Because the second amp is class d will it be more effective even though it produecs less power then the bridged 2 channel amp? Any ideas and input is greatly appreciated, as christmas time is great for demanding nice shiny new amps from peopleamp choice -- posted image.

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
monkeysan 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
I would go with the mono amp, since it is basically designed for pushing a sub.  The extra 80 watts of the first amp will not make much of a difference with regard to loudness and bridging the amp will result in a slight rise in distortion anyway. 
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I would go for the class d because it will strain your electrical system far less that the class a/b.  i also don't think you will notice the 80 watts difference.  That would be about 1/3 of an increase in wattage, which would result in less than a 1db gain in SPL.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
If you are going to be adding a second subwoofer, go the route of the mono sub amp as it will allow you to add a second identical sub safely and properly to your system.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Go with the mono amp.  Mono block amps are dedicated subwoofer amps.  It's a lot easier to add another woofer as forbidden said.  Also is the RMS you gave at 2 ohms or 4 ohms?  And don't worry about peak output cause it is pretty useless.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking the mono amp aswell.  I remmebr reading about the dB gain as to wattage.  I may change the sub to a 4ohm DVC or get another sub so i figure im safer with the mono class d.  Yes i know peak is usless but the specs i gave are 4 ohm RMS.  The 2 ohm is 500W RMS and the 2 channel amp is not 2 ohm stable when bridged.  Thanks guys
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok another question.  I have a choice of using two GM-3100T 2 channel amps or one GM-6100F 4 channel amp to power my speakers.  Both amps have the exact same RMS of 60W (4 ohm) per channel and 150W bridged at 4 ohm.  So which would u choose?  Would it be more effective to have two seperate amps pwering the front and rears independantly or one amp powering all speakers?  The space and cable requirments can be delth with easily, i just need to know which you would recomend.  The 4 channel amp costs about $50 more then the two smaller amps combined, but this dosnt really bother me.  I just want to explore all my options, thanks again
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  

First off don't pay any attetion to max because they will never produce it. And IMO i would never buy a pioneer amp. And there subs aren't any good either i heard the Pioneer spl3000 in a sealed box on a older kicker amp getting about 600 watts rms to each. earlier i heard 2 Kicker cvr's in a sealed box on a Rockford fosgate Power 851s and that sounded better and got louder. oh yeah the pioneers were in a built box to the specs in a nissian Sentra and the kicker were in a honda prelude.

and that question you asked i would go with the 4 channel amp and what kind of speakers do you have, all one size  or like 61/2 in the front and 6x9 in the back

jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  

Well firstly i only want good sound, its not for comp or anything, just for average use of my car.  The speakers are all 6 1/2 inch.  What sorta amp would u suggest then?? The sub is fine atm but i wanted to upgrade to an Alpine or Clarion top model 12" in the near future

Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

JL audio or kicker sx series that are my favorite 4-channel amps both are really good

you can't be ahead of the curb if you aren't LIVIN LOUD
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic