flashing led

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icemanvts 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

hi everyone

i bought a flashing blue/red led! i want to wire it up as a fake alarm flashing led i would like it to come on when the ignition is off and turn off when the ignition is on...? any info would be apreciated greatly..cheers

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
hit it up with a relay, you probably should go to the relay forum, you will only need a little relay due to how little power a LED uses. you basically want to get it so the remote 12v+ is reversed, so when your car is ON it is off, and when your car is off, it is on.   should be doable with very little amounts of wiring.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
rablair 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
You don't need a relay.
Wire the positive side of the LED to a constant (battery) 12V source. Wire the negative side of the LED to an ignition 12V source that is on only when the ignition is on.
That way your LED will only see a 12V difference across its wires when the ignition is off. When the ignition is on, both wires will have 12V and so the LED will see zero V.
cowboy21 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  

does that way work? does the starter provide a ground when off? have u tested this?

modest yet effective... ECLIPSE 12", Venom 8"x2, Focal 5 1/2" comp.,Response amps x2 (580WRMS total @ 4Ohms), Pioneer TFT + DVD, good for 148.7dB
borgreu 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 4:39 AM / IP Logged  

technically it works but i doubt when you wire it

anyways you could always leave it on even when on.... and avoid all the work and components

cowboy21 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 5:03 AM / IP Logged  
leaving it on would be bad when driving at night
modest yet effective... ECLIPSE 12", Venom 8"x2, Focal 5 1/2" comp.,Response amps x2 (580WRMS total @ 4Ohms), Pioneer TFT + DVD, good for 148.7dB
total_overkill 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Just wire it off your deck.  Just like it turns an amp on when it is powered.

40 grit has saved my life sometimes =[
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2006 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think the guy who said all that is making any sence. he said put the positive leg to the battery, clearly its going to atleast need a resistor. i still think a relay is the easiest way to make a reverse remote+ basically.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
total_overkill 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

oops my bad you want it to come on when ignition off. Get a cheap alarm system (some are really really cheap but still do the job) or if you have one go to wiring diagram and get the NEg pulse or not ect but if you RTFM Read The F&*cking Manual

No this is not directed at you but my own private joke called RTFM, It usually will explain alot of the more advanced options. I suggest talking to the guys in the car alarm forums for exact make and model of your car alarm  or possible car alarm. A car alarm is always a good idea and an easier way to tie in when ignition off.

40 grit has saved my life sometimes =[
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

A relay isn't hard to use. A basic spdt will do fine. Wire it up like this:

30 = 12v battery

85 = ground

86 = accessory that stays on when you turn on your car (radio is prefferred: acc turn on wire)

87 = nothing

87a = to led+

led- = ground

If you want the LED to blink when it is on, I actually used a universal blinker relay from Wal-mart (2 prong type) for one project. It's about $2. put that in line between 87a and the LED and that should take care of it. A blinking LED that is on when the car is off and turns off when the car is on.

Hope this helps. Ganbatte ne (good luck -or- do your best)

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic