icon

Want to make a fiberglass center console

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mallen0484 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
I own a '93 ford probe. I want to creat a fiberglass center console with an armrest, all-in-one piece. I know how to fiberglass a sub box, I did mine, but am kinda stumped Want to make a fiberglass center console -- posted image. on where to start with a center console because i do want it to be flush with my dash. Another thing I would like to do is make tweet pods in my doors near the side mirrors. If anyone can help with some starter points that has done a center console or tweeter pods it would be very helpful.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Use MDF for the sides of the console (You might have to make a cutout from cardboard to get the shape right over the transmission and drivetrain) brace the box from the inside, stretch fleece, resin. To make it sit flush with your dash you need to take the trim pieces that mount to you stock center console and dash and incorporate those into your design. As for the tweeter pods, make a fiberglass mold of the area, hot glue the tweeter mounts into place, stretch fleece and resin. If yout tweeters didn't come with mounts you can always use 1" PVC pipe, or even toilet paper roll.
mallen0484 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Alright thank you very much. Now that you said it, it makes sense. I don't know why I couldn't think of it before. I will get right on that now that I know how thank you very much!
Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Great ideas here. Make sure you post some pics on this one for us all too see.
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Just be sure when you attach the trim pieces to the center console not to pull them too tight. You can pull one side just a little bit and warp the plastic so that it doesn't fit the dash anymore...just a little words of wisdom. You might be able to find the dash trim online or at a junk yard. That will give you room for error. Want to make a fiberglass center console -- posted image.
mallen0484 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  
All the info is really helpful, but does someone have any links with pics or anything like that??? Thanks ahead of time
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Yup...TCalYen did an EXCELLENT job on his, even attached the console to his dash. here ya go:
TCalYens Center Console

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic