icon

bracing and damping properly

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
thanks man i appreciate that alot espesily from you.
dam i wish i had wread this earlyer cuse i already put it together dam! i think it looks cool enyway but hear is a pic of it i kind off trouwe it togeather but it   took me all afternoon to put it togeater.
bracing and damping properly - Page 2 -- posted image.
the front port looking thing is the vent for the fan.
this is the fan
here is the switch you can hardly see it. it is the black thing.
hear is wireing on the inside. witch heald on by stapless
i realy happy that you like it man it realy means something to me.bracing and damping properly - Page 2 -- posted image.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

what do you guys think of this. i had truble with the carpiting. and the process of covering it  was kind of tricky. do you guys have any advise in puting this stuff down. what do you think of the amp box i made. and what is the best way to cut this stuff. thanks

Aaron

Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, young Aaron, you must recarpet your masterpiece.  It has to look as good in final detail as all that went into its construction.  Choose a carpet that is made for woofer enclosures...a dark gray or black would be best, as the dark colors look more "refined" and make the large box seem less imposing.

Here is a thread from the past where I wrote some comments on carpeting a box.  For others, here are the search results.  You will also find info on bcae1.com as well as other web sources.  It's not unusual to spend a day on this crucial finishing touch, and when it's your first time it can take much longer.  Take as long as you need for results that you will be proud of.

You have the interior of the slot to do, too.  In any case where you won't be able to cover the wood with carpet, paint it first with a color that matches the carpet (and if any part of the interior can be seen through a hole or slot, paint it flat black).  And go over all your screws with spackle or wood putty, sanding smooth before applying the carpet.  There are other materials available for covering a home subwoofer that you might consider, as well.  But I would say that carpet will be the easiest to use...unless you use paint.  I would recommend you consider using a spray-on textured black flat finish paint for this box, as long as you get the wood sanded smooth and the edges clean.  The textured paint would look most like the finishes on commercially available home subwoofers.

And oh by the way, redoing the covering will give you an opportunity to fill the fan hole and remove it from the box.

All this written...and I didn't realize you made a box specifically for the amp!  But anyway, apply the above to covering any enclosure.  But...why build a box and enclose the amp?  You can integrate it on the backside of the woofer enclosure, or piggybacked onto it.  With some imagination, you can design it to allow passive air flow.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
thanks man for the info and im going to use the carrpeting i have already becuse i have a LOT of it at my disposel.
and as the fan goes there is a space that the wood is very close to the transformer and i wanted to make sure that it never overheated so i instaled the fan.bracing and damping properly - Page 2 -- posted image. but it is still a hastle to nook it up to a wall outlet. but a good thing is that it dosent cause a elecronic noise.
and as for integratine the amp to the box well there is a little problem im kind of scared to cut into my box case it tock me so long to build the box and there is so much room taken up by the bracing i would be cuting into it. and also there is a huge amount of pressure inside of that box, the 15'' causes a huge amount of pressure im kind of worryed about it, but i think it sould be able to handle it.
and there is also another reasen i dident intergrate it into the box is cuse i got the amp after i got the box built. thanks man i really apriciate the time you are spending to help me out. thanksbracing and damping properly - Page 2 -- posted image.
ps: "young Aaron" hahabracing and damping properly - Page 2 -- posted image.
Aaron
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic