icon

Budget amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JdM xplod b01 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
does anyone know a amp around 100-200$ thats reliable, has a good name and rep. Has around 700-900 rms. 1 or 2 channel. im looking to power my pioneer premier spl sub of 1000 rms.
Pioneer Premier TS-w3004spl, Bass Slammer vented, Kenwood KDC MP-4028, and a KAC-9152d.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
You're not going to find an amp that cheap with a genuine 700-900 watts RMS.  You may find some cheap POS amps that claim that kind of power for under $200, but they will be crap and not worth the time it takes to write the check.  Give that sub power from a good amp and it will perform well.  Give it crap power from a POS amp and you will probably blow it.  To get a subwoofer amp capable of a genuine 700-900 watts RMS, expect to pay more like $500 and up.
Support the12volt.com
crzycreations 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey JDM, I have a Power Acoustik TS620-2 which is running 150wrms x2 @4ohms to two RF P110S4's and I think it sounds pretty damn good, I got it for $120 of sounddomain. I would suggest from my experience with PA that they are good budget amps. I have seen higher power ones that look like they're in your price range, just a suggestion though, hope this helped.
-Don't buy it, Build it-
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, there is no way a $200 amp is going to properly power one of those.  They are a sweet ass sub and they are very power hungry
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well it all comes down to the fact that you get what you pay for.  In your case it is probably better to get a high quality amp with a lower RMS than get a really cheap amp with a high RMS.  The better amp will sound a lot better and be more true to its RMS rating.  IF you are stuck on a cheaper amp with a high RMS look at Profile.  I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I've had Profile before and liked it.  I know it is most likely overrated, but they put out enough power in my circumstances.  That's just my opinion.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah refurbs you can usually get cheap, and they actually work quite well.  Try and find a a mono class d referb that does about 800-1000W RMS depending on the independace of that sub.  Or you could go for like a kenwood but it wuld hvae to be 2 channel bridged.  Have a look on ebay
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
JdM xplod b01 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Is there any sites that sell refurbs other than ebay? but did anyone have a bad experience with refurbs?
Pioneer Premier TS-w3004spl, Bass Slammer vented, Kenwood KDC MP-4028, and a KAC-9152d.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

JdM xplod b01 wrote:
Is there any sites that sell refurbs other than ebay? but did anyone have a bad experience with refurbs?

What do you care?  You are looking for the cheapest solution.  Refurbs are just as much of a risk buying as buying online at all IMO.

stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
hello, you could try the pioneer 3000spl amp that's made for that sub...there not bad and fairly cheap in price for what they are....i'm not a pioneer fan but i used to work at a shop that had them and they did there job...you if you'd be interested i got a kenwood excelon x401 amp i'll sell for $300 cdn plus shipping
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
i bought a refurb from mtx. and had to send it back. i quit working  after about 45 minutes of playing. and it didnt go into thermal protection. they paid for the shipping back to me and the 2nd one i got did the same thing!  i havent done anything with it. im not paying to send it back again. if i keep sending them back i could buy two new ones. i wanted to replace my small amp with a bigger one. but i found a arc audio 2050 at a pawn shop for $25. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic