icon

05 Camry, Viper 160XV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97f150ext 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
I just added a Viper 160XV to this car about a week ago and found yesterday that the owner could not put the car into drive.  Although Ive never heard of a remote start unit causing this, I wanted to ask and verify I wasn't just telling myself this.  This happened after he drove the car for almost an hour.  He said the car would start, and run fine with the key but he could not put the car into gear.  Anyone have any advice on this situation?  Thanks.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Did you connect one of the 30 amp wires from the relay pack to the white constant wire in the ignition harness? The white wire is fused at 5 amps. The fuse probably blew. It will be located under the hood. Another installer did this at my last shop. I was the one who went to their house to find the problem.
On that car, I'll tie both power wires together with one 30 amp fuse and connect it to the WHITE/ red constant wire in the ignition harness. It is fused at 30 amps and can handle the load.
97f150ext 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Both constants were tied together and wired to the 30 amp constant on that vehicle.  Im still unsure of how this could affect the car going into gear.  Most cars as long as there is a charge in the battery and the key is turned to igntion, with the brake depressed will go into gear. 
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Check the brake lights. If the brake light is shorted and goes out you will not be able to put the car in gear.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.05 Camry, Viper 160XV -- posted image.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
You didn't connect the second starter wire, or jumped it from the first starter wire using a diode. If you don't use a relay to activate the second starter wire the fuse marked AM1 in the inside fusebox will blow, causing the car not to shift out of park. I've seen this before, happens just on Camrys. Also, the check engine light should now be on. Relay the second starter wire, change the fuse, and disconnect the battery to clear the light.
97f150ext 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 - Thats it, I just jumped the second starter wire on that vehicle.  Bad for me, but the car was serviced at another location and now they have turned it into a mess.  Thanks for clearing all of this up for me, it was beginning to bother me since I could not figure the problem out for myself.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
Great reference info. Mike M2! Thanks. I was never aware of that. I don't jump wire so I haven't encounter this problem. Good to know if I run ever nun into this sort of sistuation.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.05 Camry, Viper 160XV -- posted image.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to help!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic