the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Which cars types best for big audio system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sigfried 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Guys, I have a question, Wich type of Cars will be the best for a big Audio System? thus for a daily drive, Not for DB Drag, The reason because i ask is that i want to put 3 or 4 12" Subwoofers in my trunk, but they said me, that it will not work so good, that i will spend my money for nothing, because of the sructure of my Car. They say that cars with Trunk isn't so good for big Audio you'lle not get the bass that you supose to get with that among of Subwoofers. Thus Cars that have trunk like a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry etc. isn't that good for a big Audio. But type of Cars like Hacthback, StationWagon & SUV are the best type of car for big Audio system. Is that true?, thanks guys
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. Get yourself a nice suv, or hatchback car where the subs are in the same air space as the rest of the vehicle.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
yes. I have a SUV, and a medium sound system, yet it is louder than my friends with the little cars with bigger systems. I also have a ported box. Errrr.... my friend with a 4 door intrepid simply knocked ports from his trunk thru the top part below the back glass, where the 6x9s sit, and it did sound significantly better. Needed some re-inforcement, but it was a fun little project and I think it helped.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Honda civic's will work, I wil testify to that.   we managed to get over 150 db with 2 12's in one, but it was an SPL setup....for driving we have done 146db@42hz with 2 12's and alot of power.
Trunk cars are not the most efficent cars to work with but you can make them work, its all about directing the air flow.
Like said before the hatchbacks are always better,   I have seen street setups in 2nd gen rexs doing into the 150's at 42-46hz,   its realy really nice!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
pick up an suv if ur trying to do 4 12's it will allow u to make a huge ported box.. lots of room for amps and all that good stuff..... the infamous crx's r awesome for spl as jeff said... they r one of the loudest cars out there tahts is for sure.... but for street beat i say pick up and suv and have a box tuned to around 40 hz and u'll be happy...
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I have a Toyota Corolla that is a serious bass-pit.
Nice dice on SPL I can tell ya that.
Like everyone else here, I agree that sonically speaking, bigger is almost always better... speakers being farther apart.. heavier frames... etc... an SUV is the *clear* choice.
On the other hand, for any sort of driving enjoyment I think I'd rather have a unicycle than a SUV but that's just me.
Alpine Guy wrote:
where the subs are in the same air space as the rest of the vehicle
Far and away this makes the most massive sonic difference. I can't even begin to espouse how much I hate trunk woofers. Even big ports on back decks just isn't that same as a Civic hatch or even .. say.. RSX's or Eclipses..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have a VW Golf, which of course is a hatchback. Now i keep the top on the hatch for privacy reasons, but if I took this off, would there be a different result? Also would folding the seats down to allow more air flow into the hatch be better or worse? Thanks for any and all input. Which cars types best for big audio system? -- posted image.
Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
If you drop the seats that would sound pretty much the same as removing the back deck. Either way, the point is to get the woofer cone in the same space as the ears hearing it.
Drop the back seats and see if removing the back deck wouldn't be worth it eh?
..Of course... that would largely depend on *where* you park at night..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I say civic, maybe jetta, RX-8 can hold quite a few subs especially if you remove the back seat. oh and dodge magnum. defitly fit lots oif subs in there same with any SUV like Explorer or Escalade.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

get a suv, its preaty much the only choice you are going to have here if you want to put 3 or 4 12's in a car. if you put 4 12's in the back of a civic you are going to have a hard time trying to find the room that you need for the subs to have the right amount of air in their boxes and room for the amps. with an suv you have all that room and more.

i have a blazer and i have 4 12's and 2 amps and still have room to put things in my back cargo area

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic