icon

2000 F150 Remote Door Lock Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Recently, both door locks on my truck have stopped popping up all the way when I unlock the doors and they do not go down all the way when I lock them. Oddly, they seem to work better on cold days than on hot days. It makes no sense to me at all. I recently installed a new battery on my truck so I know I have enough juice for the locks. I've pulled the inside panels off my doors and checked for anything that might be binding but nothing was. I can also here some "click click click" under my dash when I try to lock the doors from inside the truck. Is this some electronic switch or something? The only way to unlock the doors is manually with the key. Not even the door code can pop the locks but you can hear that it is trying.
If anyone can help me out I will really appreciate it.
Mike
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
b-roy 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Had this problem on a Windstar which came in for an install including doorlocks.  During the preinstall check, driver's door wouldn't work. Afterwards it did. If it is a continuing problem get it checked out.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like the Actuators are bad..........We replace these, especially for people that live on Dirt roads.........

The clicking you here is probably the Relays.......

RKE ModuleLEFT OF STEERING COLUMN HIGH IN DASH

OEM RelaysHIGN IN PASSENGER DASH / ACCESS FROM TOP OF DASH
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ive replaced the actuators in a couple of 98-00 F-150s. They seem to wear out quicker than most for some reason; I have a 97 Explorer of my own which still havent given me any problems, so I dont know what it is abut those motors specifically, but easiest to just replace them.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys but would both actuators go bad at exactly the same time?   Are the actuators located in the doors or are they in the dash? I understand that the relays are high in the dash but what about the actuators? Are they the mechanisims that the push rod for the door lock is attached to?
Thanks,
Mike
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Actuators = motors that drive the lock and unlock mechanism inside the doors.
The clicking sound you hear are the relay's under the dash.
It is rare to see them go out at the same time, but never impossible.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Now I got it.
Is there any way to tell if it is the relay going bad instead of the actuators? I mean, if they are both controlled by the same relay and they both started having the same problem at the same time - odds are the relay is crapping out. This seems better odds than both actuators in the doors going bad at the same time.
What would a dealer charge me?
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic