icon

port length problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

Here I am again asking questions.  I'm trying to get a ported box going for a brahma MKII 10.   It will get 400W and will be in a .85 ft3 box tuned to 30hz.  I'm getting two different air speed calculations from unibox and winisd pro (alpha).  I've read that winisd doesn't always calculate ports and such right.  The thing that also makes me wonder is the length of the ports.  61 inch long 4.85" diameter port!?  That makes the port bigger than the enclosure.  Could that be right?  Any input is appreciated.

"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
silverdevil 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

try a 2"x9.87" long, that should do it.

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
Alpine cda-9815, Eclipse Se8365, JL audio 10w0
silverdevil 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

it would have alot of port noise, but being the box he described is only .83 cu. ft it's gonna be hard to tune  it that low, unless he uses a small  port, or get's an elbo fitting.

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
Alpine cda-9815, Eclipse Se8365, JL audio 10w0
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

As far as air speed calcultations go:  by default, WinISD Pro 0.50a7 has rear port velocity set by default to "peak" instead of RMS.  Here is a thread where this was discussed.  Here's what I did:  in WinISD, go to the top pull-down toolbar, select File, Options.  Place the cursor over the word "peak" next to Air Velocity, click to change to "rms".  Also make sure it is set to "ft/s".  In this dialogue box you can customize the graphs the way you want to see them.

Keep in mind, fugit, that when you ask the program to respond to the inputs you put in for that particular woofer, it will automatically attempt to find the "flattest" response possible.  It pays no mind to the consequential port length, whether it's a feasible length or not.  It's up to you as the designer to work with the space you have, the volume of the enclosure, and your accumulated knowledge to use the program to arrive at a workable enclosure.  When you are using these two programs (I do the same thing) to work up a solution and then find big differences in the results, it will prove to be an error in parameter inputting...or an error in deciphering the results.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
The 2" port would have too much port noise, although it would make life simple.  Stevdart, I was  just thinking that I made some mistakes.  After seeing some of the cookie cutter boxes with ports that aren't very long, 70" port seemed a little eccesive.  Even the cutaway of a w7 box didn't seem that long.  I almost had one that would've worked but it was 2" too long for the space I had.  As far as changing the m/s to ft/s or mph for that matter, does it make any difference?  I thought 38.5 mph was .05 mach.  Also, if you change the graph to see rms where can you input that if all it gives you the opportunity to put in peak W?  I'll look again for rms input.  Thanks for the replies.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

The difference is only if you are doing a comparison of one program to another.  That is, they should both have the same standards. 

You should be able to change peak to rms if you just follow what I wrote above.  When you are, again, doing a comparison of programs they both have to have the same standard.  This is usually why some people think that WinISD gives false air velocity numbers.  If it is calculating peak and the other program is using RMS, they will differ.

55 ft/second is .05 Mach.  I generally use the 10% guideline when designing a subwoofer enclosure for auto use, which lets me get to 110 ft/sec at highest RMS (make sure the power is inputted into the program).  This keeps the port opening at a reasonable size, thus affecting the port length.  If I worried about the peaks, the port would often get too big for the project.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Your enclosure seems a little small.  Is that .86 after taking driver and bracing displacement into account?  I hope so... in any case, I'd shoot for closer to 1-1.25 cu ft and tune a bit higher for a car, like 36-40Hz, especially since with 400 watts you are no where near putting the woofer into thermal danger.  At 1 cu ft, 4" port @ 40 Hz = 18.25" long.  Have you tried calculating a slot port?  And yes, it is OK to bend a port inside the enclosure.
Support the12volt.com
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

The same standard makes sense as far as being easy to read.  I had looked up what m/s and mph were each at 5% of mach.  I changed the peak to rms but still get the same air velocity problem with it.  Everything else is the same.  As far as volume, thats minus sub and bracing and of course the monster port.port length problems -- posted image.  I wanted the tuning low so I could get a more sql type setup.  Yes, the slot port seems like it would be much easier to get inside if (when) I have to snake it around all that way.

I think I may have found a compromise though, especially with stevdarts info on using 10% instead of five.  If the port velocity is only slightly over at fb , and the rest is under then wouldn't most of the noise not be a problem?  I'm not too sure about what freq most music stops their lows, and I VERY limited expreience with ported enclosures, basically I have heard them only enought to know they are louder than sealed. 

This project of mine is going into my little commuter accord and I haven't had any "good" experience with a sub in the trunk.  Hence the ported box idea.  Seems like I've almost bit off more than I can chew, but I'll try a ported box and a sealed and see how I like them both.  Thanks again for all your help guys.

fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

So, I got one figured.  I thought I'd post so you can sharpshoot it if you like.  Also if anyone else needed an enclosure for a 10" brahma MKII they can check it out.

..86 ft3 tuned to ~28.25 HZ

D  12

H1  16 

H2  12

w 22.5

brace  11 x 10.5 with 4 3" holes and a 7" hole for the sub magnet

back of port   9 x 12 @ .75 mdf

All of the box is 3/4" mdf except for 4 pieces of 5/8" for the port baffles. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic