icon

remote start on a manual transmission.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silverdevil 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2005 nissan sentra with a manual transmission, I know when I install a remote start I'll have to bypass the neutral saftey switch on the pedal, but my question is will starting the car without the cluch disengaged hurt the flywheel or clutch in any way? like say, the clutch wearing pre-maturely?
2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
Alpine cda-9815, Eclipse Se8365, JL audio 10w0
firebretha 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

its more of a safety feature to ensure that the car is out of gear when it is started.

Personally in my type of car I have had better luck by turning the clutch safety off because then it puts less stress on the crank when starting.

So, All in all, Just make sure you never park in gear and you will be more than alright.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Huh? What? This makes no sense whatsoever:
Personally in my type of car I have had better luck by turning the clutch safety off because then it puts less stress on the crank when starting.
How in the world are you accomplishing this? You have a linear actuator that pulls the clutch in, thus releasing the pressure plate? I am very confused.... last time I checked, the clutch safety is an electronic interlock that completes the starter circuit by using a switch at the released point of the pedal travel.
You take your car out of gear and sit there with the clutch to the floor at a stoplight do you?
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Holding the cluch in while it is running is hard on the release bearing.
Bob, do you mean the pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel?
A manual transmission car idling, in neutral, the cluch is just sitting there, hanging out. If anything, it would be hard on the input shaft bearings sitting there turning at low speed...; you may have a problem after 10,000 or so hours. I have never seen a remote start do any damage to a clutch assembly. Be no different than hitting the dash mounted clutch switch bypass button on an older Toyota truck (came like this from the factory, a pushbutton switch on the dash to the left of the steering column.)
Gus
firebretha 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

bobk wrote:
No I set at a light out of gear and my foot off the clutch and the clutch hurting the crank is almost right, it puts pressure on the thrust bearing.

Exactly.

I was having a problem remembering the name.

gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
I was just getting at the "tuning clutch safety off/less stress on the crank thing". The clutch safety switch is an electrical interlock, keeping you from cranking it in gear essentially by making you push in the clutch, ensuring it is in neutral.
In remote start, you temporarily bypass the clutch safety for cranking purposes with a relay, or a grounding pulse, or a 12V pulse, or by wiring the crank wire to the starter side of the switch. The clutch pedal ain't moving anywhere......
Gus
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
That's just not so. There is no pressure on the thrust bearings when you push the clutch in, or any other bearing for that matter. The pressure plate is attached to the flywheel and is only pushing against that, nothing else.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
When you push the clutch in, there is a fork that rides on the outside of the release bearing. You put pressure on it.
Gus
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

and it thus became known as "The Great Clutch Debate of 2005"

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Mwaaaahhaaaa.......
Yup
Speaking of which... I need to oreder a new one for my car. Damned VW clutch just doesen't like 300 ftlbs of torque for some reson. Bloody thing slips every once inawhile now that it's cold out. Good Sunday project...
Gus
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic