icon

alternator whine, 97 cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
duhoss 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok i have a 97 cavalier that a friend of mine (that claimed he knew what he was doing) installed a system into. I have 2 12" kicker L7s, a 1200.1 kicker amp, infinity kappa speakers on the inside, and an infinity 4 channel amp running them. when the car is off and i turn the cd player on i dont get any alternator whine.. but at 0 volume my subs are doing a constant rumble. Once i turn the car on all my inside speakers start whining and it gets higher pitched as i rev the engine. now i think its an alternator whine probly from a bad ground. i have both my amps grounded to a screw on the top of my trunk. and the cd player is grounded to the harness. but my question is... this entire system was in a different car that was in a bad accident. so is it possible that maybe something was damaged in my cd player? or is it just something with the grounds? and also why are the subs doing just a constant rumble at 0 volume even when the car is off? thanks in advance.
duhoss 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
forgot to include that my cd player is a Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP...
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

if you have the chance, che out your system with another head unit, ask your friends if you can borrow one from some of them...

and scratch the paint before screwing the ground terminal...

duhoss 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok i tried making the ground better but no luck there... but when i take out one of the RCAs on the 4 channel amp and touch the tip of it to the outside of the RCA connection on the amp the whining stops. so would it be more of a problem with my RCAs? also a friend of mine told me it might be the power wire coming from the battery, it goes through the grommet on my firewall that pretty much every other wire for the car goes through. so could maybe the power wire be picking it up since its right with all those other wires?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, read the grounding sticky. In this case however I am almost 100% certain that the issue is related to the piss poor circuit design of the Pioneer cd player. It is a breeding ground for noise. Remove the cd player and try a different brand (Eclipse of course alternator whine, 97 cavalier -- posted image.) to see if the issue goes away. A GM vehicle has a piss poor ground return to begin with. When a bad ground happens, it manifests itself as noise for the most noticeable part, the worse the ground, the worse the noise.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
duhoss 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
well it cant be the cd player because when it was in a different car it worked fine with no noice... unless it was damaged in the wreck... but i didnt try giving the cd player itself a better ground so i guess ill give that a shot. but is it possible for the power wire itself to be picking up the noise? im just tryin to figure out exactly where this is coming from.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
It most definitely can be the cd player. Change the ground plane (the vehicle) and what once was quiet and noise free can now whine worse than a woman (sorry ladies).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
duhoss 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok thank you.. ill try giving the cd player a better ground.. id like to try it right now but its -2 wind chill so i aint goin outside.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

dont rule out anything until you check the integraty of the unit in question. yes you should start by trying to ground that hu directly to the chassis. but forbidden is right. pioneer is surely not the choice i would go with. keep in mind that the vechile has a noise isolator on the engines coil for the radio. maybe, but not likely if the last hu didn't have the problem.

i would really think about just trying another hu to start the process of elimination.that hu could have a bad internal ground problem. i could not say this enough check all ground,clean any dirt or paint and make sure of a sercur and firm connection.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
duhoss 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
ok i will try a head unit.. thanks for all the suggestions. but i have one more question.. i had the cd player installed when got the car 3 weeks ago and just put the system in last night. before the system went in the cd player was just hooked up like normal to the factory speakers. with no amps or anything and there was no noise whatsoever. thats why i really didnt think it would be the cd player. but is it still possible to be the cd player even tho it was hooked up in the same car and didnt make noise until the actual system was installed? and thanks again for all the info
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic