newbie, new system, terminology?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
himhims3lf 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
i dont need a left and a right?
ill have 2 subs so one would be on the left and one would be on the right....right?
also how would i wire the 2 subs to a mono amplifier in a parallel circuit?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest the following.  If what you want is a system in your car first decide how much money you want to spend and what you want out of your system, then go to a good car audio shop in your area (not Best Buy or Circuit City, a car audio shop) and make a deal with professional installation included.  Expect to spend a little more than you planned, but it will be worth it in the long run.

If you want to learn, start reading with the links on the left side of this site titled "Car Audio."  Also read everything you can on THIS site.  Spend the time to go through these things and come back here with your questions.

It's good to want to do it yourself, it's good to want to learn, and if you can spend the time and exercise some patience to read first before you start jumping in you will be happier, safer, and have a better system for it.

Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
himhims3lf 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
well see im installing it myself its just im getting confused with the ohm and stuff which i think i understand now but... im just wondering how a parallel circuit would work...
are there like 2 pos/2 neg teminals on the sub?
himhims3lf 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
like now im thinking two 12" kicker comp subs and a bazooka monoblock amplifier which puts out 300 RMS and each sub is 150 RMS
150 x 2 = 300 so sounds good to me, if im not mistaken
its just when i looked at the diagram of wiring a parallel circuit it confused me
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Like I said...

DYohn wrote:
If you want to learn, start reading with the links on the left side of this site titled "Car Audio."  Also read everything you can on THIS site.  Spend the time to go through these things and come back here with your questions.

It's good to want to do it yourself, it's good to want to learn, and if you can spend the time and exercise some patience to read first before you start jumping in you will be happier, safer, and have a better system for it.

Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
himhims3lf 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks i mean i have been reading...just a little confused about some things.. but then again this is probably the best site i found with info so ill just read around for a little while
himhims3lf 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
last things i have to ask
is an RCA cable required to connect ur amp to the head unit? if so, any suggestions to a good buy?
and
im looking into buying a Tsunami power kit and i see the power wire, ground wire, and a set of 18 gauge blue and black wire...if that the wire i use to connect the amp to subs with? by cutting, stripping, and soldering them
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

If you are running an after market head unit with pre amp outputs, I would suggest you use RCA's. The other option is to use a high to low converter, but there will be loss of sound quality this route.

The speaker wire must be cut and stripped. However depending on the speaker, it can vary. Some have spring connectors that simply require bare wire, whil others require soldering or crimp on conectors.

himhims3lf 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
ok also isn't there supposed to be a thin wire going from the amplifier, i think in a spot labeled REM, and then to the receiver?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Your remote wire can be run with the RCA's from the deck to the amp.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic