icon

1991 jeep cherokee, alarm idea

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devile 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well hopefully someone can help me out... I have a 1991 jeep cherokee, and i want to make my alarm better.. I have a remote start/keyless entry system (aftermarket) hooked up to my security system (OEM)... I have the basic wiring idea set up in my head with the relays and all, but could this 'basic idea work'
When OEM alarm goes off, it triggers a relay that would give power to the other relays attatched to sirens, horns, lights, all that i would want to go off... For five minutes, or until the alarm is disabled???
if so, what wires do i tap into or, how would i do it... i was thinking since the horn goes (beep, pause, beep, etc..) is there some way i can hook up a relay so when it gets power once to the 'remote' wire, that it'll stay on for 5 mins or until the factory alarm is disabled... please help 12volt
anickle 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
I will let my install buddy B-ROY knowabout your post:)  He did a latching relay system for his 02 neon when he found out someone was stealing his $1.07/l gas.  In the mean time though your idea sounds plausible.  Good luck
andrew nickle
b-roy 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  

Wiring into the horn will mean that the siren will pulse as, same as when you arm or disarm an alarm because the horn is pulsing, not staying solid.You could put on a latching relay, but would need a way to turn it off otherwise when you honk the horn and flip someone the bird, your sirens will latch on as well.......

Here's what I did. Mount a siren and wire it straight to +. Take the negative and run it to a relay on pin 87a. Pin 30 goes to ground, pin 86 goes out to a latching relay with a + output. Pin 85 is wired to your doorpins, hood pin, gas cap pin :)......any other negative trigger. The latching relay latches on and off with your doorlocks. To improve on this, put another latching relay on the negative line to the siren, causing it to latch when it  gets the negative from the previous relay. Otherwise when someone opens your door then closes it.......the siren will stop.

I don't know what u have for a starter, but if u can then wire these additional sirens etc. into the remote start so you have some control over it.

I gotta get to work, I'll be back with some more later.

devile 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
yes but if i could find the horn trigger wire from the security system, then the sirens woulnd't wale if i i tapped into the secuity wail wire, ebcause it's most likely a different trigger than my horn button
b-roy 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yes indeed........your answer was still in there though. A latching relay can turn your siren on or off, triggered by whatever you desire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic