icon

transmission line box for an alpine sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gi jesus 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

could/would anyone have/get me someinformation on a t-line box for an alpine swe-1041 type-e 10" sub? i have been reading into them and am just curious to see what it would sound like,

thanks for the help

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
It would likely SOUND awesome, but it IS IMPRACTICAL for car use...
Buy "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" from Parts Express, and it has instuctions and theories for TL design in it...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
I built one for an Eclipse 12" (87-Series) about 4 years ago. Sounded awesome. Space was definitely an issue though. Luckily, I have an SUV so fitting it wasnt too much of a problem, but the 2" x 18.5" x 107"L port made the box take up about 1/2 of my cargo space. I ran it though a local dB competition hit a 146.8 on the dash .... moving quite a bit of air to do that in an SUV with a single 12" and 400W RMS.
I had it installed for about 4 months.. with its size it quickly picked up the name 'casket'
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
We have a link to the  Loudspeaker Design Cookbook  here.
transmission line box for an alpine sub -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
sprahl85 wrote:
do you really think it would be impractical for 1 10"... it would be a large box yeah, but it would sound really good.
Yes. And it COULD sound awesome, not necessarily WOULD sound awesome. Unless you are truly willing to give up massive amounts of space, and tremendous amounts of time to properly design the enclosure, a TL design is generally not acceptable for use in the car.    A single ten in a TL will REQUIRE probably around 3.5 to 4 cubic feet.
I built (early on in my TL "career") a stuffed TL for 2 old school Infinity Pro 12's - the old white basket, mica-filled polypropylene cone ones - to put in my 86 Civic. 9.5 cubic feet and 300 pounds later, (it was damped with sand) and with the removal of the back seat, I had my own coffee table in place of the back seat. Yes, it DID sound incredible. It was fast, tight, had MASSIVE extension (I was aiming for 22Hz, hit 18Hz), and was by ALL accounts the best sounding woofer system (pretty much anybody who sat in in the car to hear it, thought this way) most had ever heard in a car. I was working at a shop when this was happening, and even the manufacturers reps (at that time, we carried M&M (Anyody remember the "Rose" series?), Alpine, Infinity, Nakamichi, Precision Power, and Linear Power) that would come by, trying to sell us stuff, were amazed. Output was nothing to write home about, but the sound quality was second to NONE.
sprahl85, TLs are difficult to construct, require tremendous amounts of space and with drvnbysound's example, I can stand by my above statement to impracticality for the car. If properly designed they ARE quite satisfying enclosures, I just thought you should be aware of the drawbacks to them.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

http://http://www.hogheaven.com/diyaudio/subwoofers/PATL/patl.html this is a good link that dyohn gave me when i asked this question alittle will ago about tl boxes it is a good site. good luck, im going to make one for my 15 sone gust to see how it does in it, and to have a sq set up. hope this helpstransmission line box for an alpine sub -- posted image.  

Aaron

Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
gi jesus 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

they just kinda interest me and i was just seeing what they're all about.

i have 2 10s and a small car, currently they're in a vented 3cu ft box right now and its a tight fit so i dont think i'll be albe to put both in a t-line...lol

just seeing what kinda info was out there

thanks for the opinions/info

'92 ford ranger
2 swe-1041 alpine 10"s
1 Vented enclosure
1 alpine 9811 HU
1 kenwood kac-8152d
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
no problemo that's what were here fortransmission line box for an alpine sub -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic