icon

Alternator power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys....I have a 500watts rms amplifier and want to hook another one of the same power...Does anyone know hoy much amps must be provided by the alternator???
mariocesar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

Almost forgot !

my car is a sunfire aut 2001, air conditioner...head unit alpine mod 9845 (2 volts preout) ,preamplifier interfire , amp rockford fosgate mod 500x ,4 chan (250 x 2 @ 4 ohms) and a baby 12" kicker dual 4 ohm,400 watts rms that pounds really loud!

mariocesar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
and wanna hook wheter a mono bazooka BL1500 (500 watts @2 ohms) or a 4 chan amp(50 per channel)
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you look in the literature that comes with your equipment, you should see fusing requirements, which will give you a rough estimate of how many amps each piece can draw.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mariocesar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

Ofcourse I read the instructions, my amplifier requires a 50 amp fuse ,the amplifier that will buy requires 30 amp....that makes 80 amp.....So how many amps does the alternator need to feed to acomplish the amplifiers plus recharging the battery!

geepherder 
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, then, your factory alternator is rated at 105 amps.  Since music is very dynamic, you'll probably never pull a full 80 amps even if you tried.  I bet you'll be fine with no upgrade.
mariocesar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder : thank you very much for enlighten me! i was very confused because ...as you stated in the previous post...105 is more than enough...then why the dome lights tilt a little bit? I don´t wanna get the alternator burned or damaged...

geepherder 
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
At any rate, you said your lights dim a little?  If so, I'd get your alternator tested.  I'm not sure about in Mexico, but in the states it's free at the parts store.  Also, if you have a multimeter, you can turn on as many accessories as you can (a/c, rear defrost, high beams) and crank the stereo with the car running.  Measure the voltage at the battery- it should stay at or above 13.5 volts.  If it does not, do a search on here about the big 3, and consider upgrading the alternator.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
for 500watts.. with an upgrade of the BIG 3 u should be ok.. if not get a good battery under the hood and that should help.. if problems still persist then look into upgrading to an ho alternator.. i've heard that you should have 10 amps for every 100 watts... but most people buy as big as there pocket book will allow them
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
mariocesar 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys!

I decided to sell my car and buy a big foot! jeje just kiddind...yeah I´get the alt tested, in fact I think it needs maint...once this is done will do the B3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic