icon

Carvox starter wont start in cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rdlybeck 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

This is the weirdest problem for me because In my 2000 Durango it works great.  It always starts no matter how cold.  But the same system I put into a friends 99 nissan pathfinder will not work in cold weather.  It does try then sets off the alarm syaing hood pin in the remote.  It has to be  a faulty brain. 

I have just ordered a few Alert 750R two way systems to replace these with.  However I will have to eat the cost of the carvox.  I am unable to solve the problem or find a dealer who can replace it.  And since so many people on here have the same problem I am getting rid of them.

Ryan Lybeck
"Wiring diagrams are nice but still double check with DMM"!
silentmafia 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

Well, good thing the person who sold it to me gave me a replacement except he gave me a different brand...i installed it and it started working perfectly even in cold...

Now i'm just playing around with this piece of junk Carvox with my powersupply and i found what is the main problem in this unit...

Carvox CX-990(King Eagle)

My research found: either one of them...

Inside the carvox brain unit there are 4 relay which uses for power locks, and power input..

Whenever i connect it to my computer powersupply the system works fine.

then i connect it to my car battery which is unstable from 11v-14.6v...the damn thing just malfunction...

It wont give out power output for auto start and it shows all the doors are open...

I tapped with a screwdriver the relay and put the power back on with the power supply....THe damn thing started working properly.

so either one is the problem:

1.Power input relay is no good>> this could be it but i rather not waste my time looking for this part

2. or just the IC power controller

shodan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
What the replacement brand that you got from guy that works well in the cold? It's good that you got some trouble shooting results. Keep us posted.
silentmafia 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

shodan wrote:
What the replacement brand that you got from guy that works well in the cold? It's good that you got some trouble shooting results. Keep us posted.

He gave me an Agilon which shows the American flag on the box but i doubt that cuz i saw it on the internet that its a company in China...

but this one works instantly i installed it...i just had to adjust some jumper to chose my options. Here's the specs if you're interested in this system:

its an ASK technology which is only 250-500 feet range

autostart, 2 way pager, arm and disarm feature with 24 hour timer??i dont know that crap...

silentmafia 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

well, i'm in the second phase of my test and i just found out its not the relay or any of these components...I think its either way but it can't be possible...The problem in this Carvox is the insulation of the main unit...its not perfectly insulated to cold cuz this unit was made in China and in china they never have a -10 degree weather like ours...so i guess this is the problem because whenever i put the power on this thing when its really really cold it malfunctions but when i put the power on while its warm it works perfectly...

Now i'm trying to figure it out how to keep it insulated and warm at the same time...

vizy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, Silentmafia.   Please keep us update on your finding.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
This is pretty interesting-
Could you maybe try to stick the unit in your freezer while running it off the lab supply to determine for sure it's a problem with the temperature vs. some issues with battery voltage? From the sound of it, it'll fail the same way even on the lab supply.
I'd think it were some poor solder joints that contract from the cold and open up, but it just seems unlikely with the problem being so widespread. Might be worth a try reflowing the solder joints just as an experiment.
silentmafia 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

Well, i did and it does the same thing as you would have in your car in -10 degree temperature outside...I tried lots of things on it like putting a foam insulation, caulking the ICs, and putting a 6milliamp lamp inside the unit while the power is on outside my house...and its still did the same malfunction but it lasted me atleast 10 minutes because of the lamp.  I'm not sure though if that is safe to have inside the unit but i'm going to use a more powerful lamp inside to heat up the system even more...but i hope it wont drain the battery using a 16 milliamp bulb...

I keep you guys up to date with this experiments...thanks for standing by...

vizy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

There are 3 relays inside the start module.   I am wondering, if these relays are only rated for 0C and maybe that why it is not start in the cold.   If we change these relays to a higher rating say   -20C,  do you think it would work?.   

viptime 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
CARVOX CX-990 Radiostar King Eagle car alarm Review is Junk Crapvox did not start in a cold. Would you buy air conditioner that only works in the winter or heater that works only when the temp is above 100F? this alarms starter falls in to the same category. The remotes are so cheaply made that antenna fell of after a week. This alarm is cheep Chinese garbage.
I took this crap out and installed a Compuster 2WSS-AS. Compustar it top of the line alarm 6000ft range . don¡¯t waist our money with this cheep china crap
My ability to fix things is only superseded by ability to make it worth in the process
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic