Head Unit issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
get hit 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Background info:
So I had a 96 Ford Aspire with a new head unit. I get a saturn and I want to put my system in there. So like a dumby instead of getting a wiring harness i cut the saturns factory wires off and thought I could attatch them to my new head unit's wires.
Situation:
Well the only way my head unit works is if I have the yellow (15v i believe it says) attatched to the factory dimmer AND factory power wires. Problem, drains battery somehow and if I turn the dimmer down, head unit shuts off. I possibly have some wire crossed between the power and ACC.
But is there someway I can fix this?
I was going to use the cig. lighter power and ground for the head unit but.. nice loud pop sounds dont excite me. THere has to be a way I can have the Head Unit in and NOT drain the battery. I dont care if the dimmer has to be up or whatever. Stupid move on my part, didnt even think of a harness.. thank you! peace
yo
penz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  

The easy way to fix this problem is to reconnect the old Saturn wires (just don't twist the wires to gether- use crimp ons or good solder) then get the proper harness and do it right.  You could also enlist a friend who knows what he is doing or go to a shop. 

get hit 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I cut the wires to the Saturns harness insanely too close to even get a chance to hook them back up. ****ed up
yo
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
any chance you can go to a wrecking yard and get on fom there? with longer wires.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

Yep.  Yet another example of why people should never cut a vehicle's wiring harness when an adapter is available.  Your best bet at this point is to take it to a good car audio shop and get some help.  You can expect to pay quite a bit for this fix as it might take several hours of labor time, if indeed they can fix it.  You may have to replace the vehicle's wiring harness, which can run into pretty large dollars and may require a trip to the mechanic.  Sorry to hear you did this.

Support the12volt.com
get hit 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
yeah that sucks. Im not sure of a yard around me and I need my money for everyone's Christmas presents.
yo
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

You can do what was mentioned above, and try a junkyard or have a professional installer hardwire it.  You could also look up your vehicle here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.asp.  Test these wires for function, you may have a blown fuse or two.  You could then either hardwire it- connect the wires directly, or go to CC or a stereo shop and ask for both harnesses for your car- into radio, and into car.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
metra makes factory harness replacements for most makes and models, 71-xxxx is what your model number would look like, for 96 Ford Aspire most likey a 71-1770. They come with 4-6" of wire so you can solder it back to your factory wires and have the factory plug and use a normal harness in the future.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
oops; I see you cut the Saturns wiring off; never mind the specific model I gave you before; but the wiring harness will still have a model number like 71-xxxx
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
get hit 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
you guys are great im gonnaa try like everything tomorrow once i get up and hopefully something good and inexpensive will turn up.
thanks again
yo
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic