icon

high level input

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangadam 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

I have a couple of amps that have high level input jacks, but no connector for the jack.  I am installing one of these amps for a friend with an old head unit, and he doesn't have pre-amp outs.  Where can I find the 4-pin, square plastic connectors to plug into the amp's high level input?

Thanks

Adam Donald Flournoy
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
7E7 "Dreamliner" Project
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Try your local installer's junk box, if they will let you dig around in it.
Another thing I've done (God, I hate Mickey Mouse) is to use some butt connectors pushed over the terminals (if they are male prongs on the amp)
Just a thought......Good Luck
Clean tools = Clean work!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Another option is to buy a High to Low converter than you can use the RCA inputs on your amp better than halfassing it no offence webguy
webguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

None taken! I was in the middle of administering my other website, wasn't thinking the answer all the way through. Nice follow-thru, bberman1.......

Earlier, I was trying to get back to this post to let "mustangadam" know about this PAC accessory at: http://www.go2pac.com/products/loc.htm, and somehow couldn't find it. But here we go......

Again, I am far from professing to have all the right moves. (I hate to Mickey Mouse!)

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, if you do not have the correct plug for the amplifier it is a lot easier to install it with a high-low level converter.  I would recommend doing it that way any way, simply because you would have to run back to the amplifier X number of sets of inputs based on how man channels you have, so thats a lot of speaker wire, and a lot of mess to deal with, plus  a lot of amplifiers high-low converters that are onboard usually are piss-poor design, and the actual components are cheap that they use, (this depends a lot on who made the amp, and the care they took into making a good high-low level onboard converter).  So for about 20 buxs you can get a decent high-low, actually you could even buy a cheaper brand that has gain adjustments and it will probably be just as good for your likes.  Typically will high-low converters, if you are just running a sub, you can use a cheaper one, since most of your "loss" or added distortion/attenuation occurs at the higher end of the spectrum, and for lower frequency stuff simply slap on your low pass filter then you are set!!! 

hope that helps some what!

Craig

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
webguy what is the url on your site if you don’t mind me asking?
webguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

bberman1, I haven't any 12volt related websites. I administrate a site for a company at: http://www.globalnetworktradingcompany.com, and I have a consumer advocate site that I created earlier this year in response to an online company's deceptive advertising methods (which they tried, unsuccessfully, to sue me for. I was well within my First Amendment Rights, plus I could back up everything with proof.. www.cjfa.org) and a local website that I recently am taking a stab at, which is a Dining Directory for our local area's independently owned restaurants... www.avdining.com

But, as I've stated, I am seriously considering returning to the 12 Volt industry, probably after the first of the New Year. I have had a lot of fond (and not so fond) memories.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Visited your site www.cjfa.org I congratulate you on going after those people and or businesses that are out there to screw you and take your money. We need more people out there that are willing to go after companies like you do instead of complaining about them. But I see you live out in the Palmdale area I’m in the San Fernando Valley in Sherman Oaks.
webguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

Well, howdy neighbor! Are guy's getting as much rain as we are right now. It finally calmed down a bit. But considering this forum is viewed the world round, the distance is nothing.

I was gone for a few hours. We were having power surges from the storm, so I shut down for a while.

I will probably run into you sooner or later, because I have pretty much made up my mind about coing back to the biz.

Later.....Robert

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Rain just let up I haven’t seen this much flooding in my neighborhood in a few years. But I hear you guys have had some strong winds out that way.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic