icon

Faded LCD Display

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Legbreaker 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  

The stereo is my car (toyota starlet) has a display which I thought was dead, until i looked at it at an angle. Turns out it is just VERY faded. Can't even see it at night. The various buttons are still iluminated. Can this be fixed? The stereo is an original toyota audio if it helps.

Thanks

Mark

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
It will probably be cheaper if you replace it with a new aftermarket head unit. You can try and talk to your local Toyota dealer and see if they can recommend a place or get a quote on a new one. I know some of my local dealership have a local guy that remanufactures them for the dealerships. Also a lot of TV/VCR shops fix car audio equipment to but don’t know if they will be able to fix your head unit. Another suggestion is to see if you can find a used one on eBay.
crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

I used to have to replace the little lights on the ford factory radios of years past.  The back light is what is burnt out typically and that is why you cannot see it very well.  You can pay to have some one change the backlight for you, or you can like bberman1 says, replace it.  My experience is, that since the price of head units are sooo cheap, it would be worth it, even if it is a low quality (walmart deal) to purchase and install that instead.  Saddly you will probably get better results!!!  But, if you are dead set on it, and you have to keep that head unit, then you can either A) take it apart (if you have done electroncis repair before) or B) take it to a shop and have them fix it.  Most shops will charge 50buxs to look at it and change out the light.  Well, that was true in the early 1990's but the prices/rates may have gone up.  Another option is to hit the junk yard and get a replacement one there that doesn't have the light burnt out, but rest assured, if it burnt out once, it will burn out again.  They typically design those things like crap, and the 2 year old who designed it didn't care about it lasting more than a week!!!

Good luck

Craig

Rovari 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Your problem could also be the contact strip that actually connects the screen to the circut board in your radio ... What happens in some cases over time is that the actual contact loses its sponginess and will not connect properly giving a faded or no display at all..... A good way to check is to put pressure on the top of the display .. if it gets darker or is easier to read then it is your contact strip that needs to be replaced ... I dont know how technical you are but if you can take your radio apart , the display is more than likely clipped on to the circut board inside or it may have metal tabs that may have to be twisted to remove the display .. hope this helps ..please post your findings or if you have other questions let me know ...Rob
Mobile Cellular Services
Toronto, Canada
Legbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
I tried the pressure idea, no luck. Think i'll go for a new head unit. I saw a sony head unit, a SONY CDX-MP30, would cost me $139, plus s+h. I'm assuming it just slots into the same bay? The bay looks standard.
Legbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2002 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by Rovari on December 16, 2002
Your problem could also be the contact strip that actually connects the screen to the circut board in your radio ... What happens in some cases over time is that the actual contact loses its sponginess and will not connect properly giving a faded or no display at all..... A good way to check is to put pressure on the top of the display .. if it gets darker or is easier to read then it is your contact strip that needs to be replaced ... I dont know how technical you are but if you can take your radio apart , the display is more than likely clipped on to the circut board inside or it may have metal tabs that may have to be twisted to remove the display .. hope this helps ..please post your findings or if you have other questions let me know ...Rob
Thanks for the advice, i took the sciemtific approach and took the thing apart this morning and put it back together, and it works now! God only knows what exactly was wrong, but it's ok now.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2002 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
glad to hear

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic